open/close all folders
The main character of our story, William Twining is a dogmatic realist who believes in the power of science and disregards everything else. On one hand, he is the heir of the Twining house and the best student in his prestigious school, with high hopes for the future. On the other, he is the reincarnation of King Solomon, who ruled Israel and controlled 72 pillars, aka demons. Now, there is a crisis in Hell and the pillars are coming to William one by one to get him to Hell and choose the next Emperor. However, William refuses to choose anyone and still insists that angels and demons do not exist. Now the demons are at his school and William's life has become a roller coaster of the supernatural.
- Agent Scully: Adamantly denies the existence of the supernatural and tries to make mundane explanations for weird events.
- Blue Blood: A member of the Twining family, an old and respected noble house.
- Celibate Hero: So far, William hasn't shown the faintest inkling of attraction to anyone, preferring to concentrate on his studies.
- Cloning Blues: He is very displeased with being treated as Solomon instead of his own person. He grows out of it somewhat and accepts to learn about Solomon and magic, but still insists to Uriel and Dantalion that what they did to Solomon doesn't concern him because they are different people.
- Flat-Earth Atheist: William absolutely refuses to believe in demons and magic, despite having physically visited Hell and being constantly attacked by supernatural beings.
- Generation Xerox: He looks just like Solomon, even though they're separated by thousands of years he's a very distant relative.
- Genre Blindness: Even in the title "devils and realist".
- Guile Hero: He's not above bribing and blackmailing his rivals to get ahead. Tests and grades are another story though.
- Guilt Complex: Blames himself for his parents' death.
- Impoverished Patrician: William is of the esteemed Twining family, which has unfortunately not a penny to their name. His financial situation gets even worse when his uncle bankrupts the family at the beginning of the story.
- Kid with the Leash: Towards Solomon's pillars. William can command any of Solomon's demons with words alone.
- Insufferable Genius: He can be very smug about his intelligence. However...
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: ...that doesn't exactly make him popular with the other students. He doesn't seem to have many friends asides from Isaac.
- Living MacGuffin: As a reincarnation of Solomon and subsequently the current heir to the great king's power and deals, he is the target of many supernatural factions for various purposes. The candidates for Hell's regency want his vote, while some demons and Heaven want to have the power of his soul.
- Non-Action Guy: Needs to be saved by either Dantalion or Sytry most of the time. He's also really bad at sports.
- No Sell: His skepticism ultimately proves to be more useful than it appears and makes him immune to ecstasy.
- Power Nullifier: He can negate the power of any of the 72 pillars of Solomon just by commanding them.
- Pride: He can be very full of himself, especially in regards to his academics. He also has trouble listening to others, even when it would benefit him to learn more about his current situation.
- The Protagonist
- Refusal of the Call: William wants nothing to do with the supernatural. He refuses to acknowledge his role as Elector, preferring to live a normal school life.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Unfortunately for William, the demons aren't willing to leave him alone. Dantalion and Sytry enroll at William`s school as students, allowing them to keep an eye on the Elector without being too suspicious.
- Sheltered Aristocrat
- Ship Tease: He has some with just about any character he interacts with, but Dantalion deserves special mention.
- Skepticism Failure: William continues to disbelieve in demons even when they're appearing out of nowhere in front of him and fighting with supernatural powers.
- Teen Genius: He apparently understands the frontiers of science in his day and constantly brings up complex equations and name-drops famous scientists.
- Tsundere: Very "tsun" in the beginning, but eventually gets nicer. He is a good guy at heart and willing to help people in trouble, be it fairies, humans, demons, or angels, but doesn't like to admit he cares for them. Dantalion gets the worst of it.
- Weirdness Magnet: Unfortunately for him, William attracts supernatural forces like demons and angels like moths to a flame.
SolomonThe mythical king of millennia past and an ancestor of William's. He is said to have been blessed by God and consequently held immense knowledge and accordingly power, which he used to summon and bind demons... for fun. His decisions and actions in the past have immense influence in the present.
- Badass Bookworm: It's said that his immense magical power came chiefly from his intelligence and knowledge. The tower he was locked in was filled with books, and he is often shown to read something in flashback.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Didn't have any interest in pursuing power and occupied himself with books instead.
- Cruel to Be Kind: He sent away his half-sister Tamar, who loved him, in order to spare her the darkness surrounding him.
- The Dreaded: Feared by both demons and humans.
- Green Eyes: Was born with extremely powerful magical abilities.
- Hair Decorations
- Heroic Bastard: He's the illegitimate son of King David.
- Hikikomori as lampshaded by Dantalion himself,
- —>Dantalion: "How a Hikikomori like you could be the wisest man is a mystery!"
- I Just Want to Be Loved: He has been running a massive gambit to avoid both Heaven and Hell's meddling just to have a normal life where he is loved by his parents and has friends.
- Lonely at the Top: He had immense power and later became the ruler of a great empire, but he had no true friend and had to turn to demons for companionship. Didn't help that Uriel killed every human he got close to in order to force him to follow Heaven.
- MacGuffin: His spirit is somehow linked to his ring.
- Neet: Before he went and became king.
- Parental Abandonment: He was a result of his father's sin (King David lusted after the beautiful wife of a faithful vassal, had said vassal killed, and fathered Solomon with the wife). Thus, his father refused to recognise him as his child and had him locked up in a tower.
- Perpetual Smiler
- Rage Against The Heaven: He was a human blessed by God, but ultimately refused to follow Heaven's (or Hell's for that matter) command. He went as far as commanding Dantalion to kill him before his lifespan was up to keep his soul out of Heaven's reach.
- Stepford Smiler: In flashback he is always shown to be smiling and somewhat ditzy despite the perilous situation he was in. However, he had many, many issues, which didn't completely escape Dantalion and co's notice.
- Story-Breaker Power: This is a human who could smack a demon king around without a sweat, and slaughtering an army while he was at it without lifting a finger
IsaacWilliam's best friend at school. Isaac could do better on grades, but he makes up for it in expertise about the paranormal, much to William's chagrin. Isaac is cheerful and optimistic, contrasting William's deadpan realism.
- Agent Mulder: Unlike William, Isaac is a fervent believer of the supernatural.
- Bumbling Sidekick: Only in academics.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He beats William easily during their magic training.
- He also summoned Sytry and a giant boar without any assistance.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Geek: For magic, religion, and history.
- Mr. Exposition: Because of his extensive knowledge of religious and supernatural things, Isaac gets to fill William in on anything weird that appears.
- Plucky Comic Relief
Samuel Liddell MathersFamous occultist and William and Isaac's magic instructor. His introduction shows him quitting his job as an exorcist of the Church of England because he is tired of unquestioningly doing Uriel's biddings. His magical power rivals that of high-level demons. His agenda is mostly unknown, outside of the little he has told William.
- Gray and Gray Morality: His thesis about Heaven and Hell. He thinks neither side has the moral high ground and the constant war between them is simple land and power grab.
- I Have the High Ground: He loves standing on high towers or simply floating in the air to observe unfolding events.
- Rage Against The Heaven: And Hell. As he says to William, his purpose for teaching magic to the descendant of Solomon is to strengthen the human race against Heaven and Hell's meddlings. In his very introduction, he openly questions Earnest Crosby's belief in the "miracle" granted by Uriel, claiming it "just magic".
- Stern Teacher: He doesn't hold back when teaching William magic, making the boy learn ancient Hebrew and throwing him in situations where he has to use magic, which are often magical duels with Isaac.
William Wynn Westcott
Kevin CecilThe real Kevin. He used to work for the Twinings but left years ago. Now he works as a lawyer in a different town and met William again for the first time in years when "Kevin" took William out on holiday. He is considerate toward William and invites him to go to him if he ever has trouble.
Mycroft SwallowA fellow prefect of William. He is the son of an influential politician and good at both academics and sports.
- Arranged Marriage: His family plans to marry him to the daughter of a wealthy family. He isn't happy about that and tries to avoid his prospective fiancee in the family gathering William is invited to.
- Nice Guy: He is very popular with the younger students because he is kind, in contrast to William who is often arrogant and a hardass when it comes to discipline.
- Nobility Marries Money: It's gossiped in-universe that his prospective fiancee is American and thus only good for money. Mycroft himself actually thinks that the girl is unlucky to marry him due to his screwed-up family.
- Spell My Name with an "S": the official website has his name as Microsoft.
Angels and Saints
"Kevin" aka UrielOur hero's faithful house steward. He is level-headed and responsible, aside from his gambling problem. Kevin's family has a long tradition of serving the Twinings and Kevin himself has been more or less a Parental Substitute for William ever since his parents' deaths, and he has no intention of breaking it even though William has gone broke. Recently he has come to William's school as the replacement campus priest. It has been revealed that Kevin is actually Uriel, a former archangel and currently keeping watch over Solomon's reincarnation. With another reveal, it turns out that the real Kevin left the Twinings long ago and is now working as a successful lawyer. After William found out, his relationship with "Kevin" has become strained.
- Almighty House Steward
- The Atoner: The reason he is loyal to William at first is because he want to be forgiven for what he had done in the past to Solomon.
- Badass Preacher: He replaces Earnest Crosby as the Chaplain of William's school.
- Barrier Warrior
- Battle Butler
- Becoming the Mask: He genuinely cares about William, which makes his duties to Heaven that much harder.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: His weapon of choice.
- Broken Angel: Got one of his wings torn off by Michael and stripped of his rank sometime in the past for failing to following commands given to him.
- Children Raise You: It is implied that being a Parental Substitute for William has made him kinder and more independent of Michael's will.
- Conflicting Loyalties: Between his duties as an angel and his affection for William.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Curtains Match The Windows
- The Gambling Addict: A Running Gag in the series is his love for gambling, especially on William's achievements. He is even shown betting with himself about the number of potatoes in the harvest.
- Good Is Not Soft: The Angel of Repentance and Cruelty. He has no qualms about destroying obstacles to his mission and is not above torturing people into obeying Heaven, as Solomon and John Dee unfortunately experienced.
- Guardian Angel: Of William. It is stated in series that he historically watches over England as well.
- Irony: The Angel of Repentance serving Solomon's reincarnation as atonement for the cruel acts he committed.
- Keigo: Is always very polite.
- Kindly House Steward
- My Master, Right or Wrong: To Michael (and to an extent Heaven). He isn't squeamish about violence or meddling with people's memories, but his confrontations with Solomon have led him to feel uncomfortable with coercion and erasure of free will as a way to deal with non-compliance with Heaven's policies.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast : Uriel, the angel of repentance and cruelty. While every angel appearing in this series seems to antagonistic, ironically Uriel is the only one very well known by demons as a sadist. After all, he is the only angel who is Knight Templar enough to break into Hell and destroy souls of sinners as well as demons.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It seems like Uriel puts on the gambling act and plays up his silly attitude to William to ward off suspicion and, at the same time, to relieve William's worries.
- Parental Substitute: To William when the boy's parents died.
- Perpetual Molt: One of the first clues that he's not what he appears to be. Of course, that's if you've never watched the Spoiler Opening.
- Purple Eyes
- Sadist: Apparently in the series, Isaac the resident occult geek could find 'sadist' written under his description from certain book. His go-to method for dealing with sinners and whoever opposes the decision of Heaven like John Dee is torturing them, or in Solomon's case, killing everyone dear to them.
- Stepford Smiler: As "Kevin".
- Submissive Badass: To William and in the beginning, to Michael.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Compare Solomon-era Uriel to William-era Uriel.
"Elliot Eden" aka MichaelThe highest of the archangels, Michael is the "one who is like God" and has an ego to match. He supervises Uriel's work and threatens to tear off his remaining wing if he fails to secure Solomon's soul for Heaven. It is later shown that he has not rested for a long time in his quest to destroy Lucifer and thus has weakened severely.
- A God Am I
- Axe Crazy
- Bad Boss: He tortures Uriel for disobedience and despite his promises to Metatron when turning him into an angel, he derisively calls him "a lump of clay".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- The Bully: To Uriel. He's always taunting him, telling him he looks down on him (because he doesn't consider him an angel anymore), and beating him.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Evil Albino
- Foot Focus
- Freudian Excuse: Apparently Lucifer's falling affected him greatly and even now the only thing he thinks about is capturing his brother. Michael hasn't rested for years and it's taking a toll on his mind and body.
- "Just Joking" Justification: He has a habit of saying terrible things to people, then smiling and saying, "just kidding".
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Sadist: Unlike Uriel, who is more of a very heavy-handed law enforcer of Heaven, Michael seems to genuinely enjoy inflicting pains on people who disobey him.
- Sanity Slippage: His antagonism towards Lucifer leads him to keep on postponing his rest which is vital to his power and very survival. As a result, he is shown to be increasingly impatient and desperate for an all-out war against Hell as his power declines.
Joan of ArcMichael's protegee. She was brought to heaven by Michael after her execution and has become a Saint and fearsome warrior in Michael's army. She has the potential to become an archangel sometime in the future.
- Action Girl
- Axe Crazy: Has no problem with jumping into war (which is implied to cause great sufferings for humans) for Michael with no question.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: According to Gilles de Rais, receiving Exaltation/Ectasy from Michael causes her to lose her real self and will.
- Church Militant
- Hellish Pupils
- Improbable Weapon: Wields a flag.
- Magical Girl: Basically.
- Purity Personified: So much that even being in Hell weakens her.
- Virgin Power : She lampshade this herself.
RaguelUriel's helper. He cares greatly for his master's well being and will do anything for him.
- My Master, Right or Wrong
- Submissive Badass
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: William mistakes him for Kevin on first glance when Raguel is serving at a party.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He urges Uriel to raise William to heaven because the consequences of doing otherwise would put him in danger.
"Sean Christian" aka MetatronChief of the Virtues, humans who become into angels. He was formerly a human named Enoch and got turned into an angel by Michael. He is introduced as something of a Cloud Cuckoolander who likes cosplaying and sweets, but later events reveal his Hidden Depths.
- Adorkable: as "Sean Christian"
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He befriends Sitri to get close to him and eventually abducts him to Heaven, where he forcibly removes Sitri's memory block and the whole scene plays out disturbingly like an assault.
- Manipulative Bastard: Unlike Michael who prides himself on his immense strength, Metatron seems to prefer strategems and manipulations to get things done. He pretends to be a junior student to get close to William, tries to talk Uriel into betraying Michael, and later abducts Sitri into Heaven due to Sitry's connection with Gabriel, which may cause a power shift.
- The Resenter: Though he seems to care for Michael, it is implied that he has a grudge over being treated as second-class on Heaven due to his human origin.
- The Starscream: He wants to take over Michael's role as the chief of Heaven, with the twist that his actual purpose is to keep Michael from fading away.
- Sweet Tooth: He and Sytry bond over their shared love of sweets.
SandalphonMetatron's younger brother.
ZacharielMaster of the Dominions.
RazielChief of the Powers.
RaphaelChief of the Ophanim.
DantalionHe was the first demon to be befriended by Solomon and the first demon to approach William in this life. He is the 71st pillar of Solomon and a Duke who commands the 36th army of Hell. He is one of the candidates to become the next Emperor after Lucifer and wants William to elect him. When he fails initially, he becomes a student at William's school to stay close to him and convince him to pick him as successor.
- Badass Cape
- Berserk Button: Talking about his past before he became a nephilim. Do Not hurt William either.
- Berserker Rage: Very prone to this whenever someone he cares for is in danger. It is implied to have something to do with his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Dark Is Not Evil: Even though he's a demon, he doesn't really do anything bad unwarranted onscreen. On the other hand, it is said that he killed hundreds back in the day in order to gain power.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He is in one after Baphomet is killed.
- Hot as Hell
- Last of His Kind: The only surviving god of the pantheon of a destroyed ancient world. He tells William that he became Lucifer's adoptive son and massacred his own world, though his motivation for doing that remains unclear.
- Kill the Ones You Love: He kills Solomon at the latter's own request in a gambit for escaping the influences of Heaven and Hell. He also tells William he massared his own people and destroyed the ancient world where he was a god.
- Offscreen Villainy: It is stated he kills many humans and demons during his rise to power. Gilgamesh also tells William that when Dantalion can't count on the Elector's choice to become Demon King, he does not mind many wars on Earth to grab the necessary political prestige and power.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tsundere: Used to have shades of this towards Solomon.
- Undying Loyalty: To Solomon and consequently William.
SytryThe second candidate to approach William, Sytry is the "beautiful doll" of Baalberith and Solomon's 12th pillar. Sytry first wanted William to elect him as successor, but as he spent more time with him he began to care about him as a person and not just as Solomon's successor. Now Sytry wants William to choose him so he would have a reason to protect him from both Heaven and Hell.
- Berserk Button: Don't remind him of what happened to Solomon.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Both purple.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: William even calls him androgynous.
- Hair Decorations: In his demon form. He also magically accumulates them from his fan club at school.
- Hidden Depths
- Instant Fanclub: His has over 200 members.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Sytry, Sitri.
- Sweet Tooth: Is usually shown eating cookies or candy. In the cooking competition, he chose Dantalion's servant over his own because his servant didn't make a dessert.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
- Wrong Name Outburst: To Metatron.
"Nathan Caxton" aka CamioThe secret identity of the head boy at school. He is calm and collected as well as one of the most powerful demons in hell. He is the third candidate introduced thus far and is the protegee of Beelzebub. He has been in love with the house mother at school ever since they first met decades ago.Unlike other candidates he never ask William to elect him and strangely uncomfortable when his reason is questioned. It's implied he agree to be nominated so he has reason to protect William though he also has a vendetta against Lucifer.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Implied to be part of his tragic past, lampshaded by Camio himself.
- Camio— "My demon blood prevents me from truly living as a human and my human half leave me no place in hell."
- Always Someone Better: To William, preventing him from having the top grades in his class.
- Berserk Button: Camio doesn't like to be reminded that he is a Halfling.
- Classical Music: He's apparently good enough at piano that Beelzebub compared Mozart to him back in the day.
- Death Glare: While it took a lot on Sytry and Dantalion to intercept an army of demon, all Camio need is a well placed ultimatum to send them running back to demon world.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He is the illegitimate child of Lucifer and Cassandra, princess of Troy
- Interspecies Romance: With Maria
- Manipulative Bastard: He is behind the scheme that results in Baphomet getting killed, Dantalion become potentially weakened, and Baalberith's faction losing face for failing to bring down Dantalion in the race for the throne of hell. He has also been scheming to destroy Lucifer to avenge his mother.
- Multicolored Hair: Greenish blue and silver.
- Starcrossed Lovers: With Maria. She is frail human and he is a nearly immortal demon
- Stoic Spectacles
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- When He Smiles
Gilles de Rais
- Agent Peacock
- Camp Straight: Dresses in a way that makes him look androgynous and fully intends on defiling Joan of Arc in every way imaginable.
AstarothSouthern King of Hell and a nephilim. As a human, she was Pharaoh Hatshepsut and thus a distant relative of Solomon, who made her one of his Pillars. She nominates Dantalion to be the regent of Hell.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Ambiguously Brown
- Lady of War: While she hasn't been shown in combat yet, with her military inspired outfits and giant warship, she certainly gives off this impression.
- Mama Bear
- Ms. Fanservice: To balance out the huge amount of Bishounen, she frequently appears lounging in the bathtub. Also, her outfits can be pretty Stripperiffic.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
LamiaDaughter of Astaroth and Beelzebub
- Precocious Crush: She insists she's Dantalion's fiance.
BeelzebubNorthern King of Hell, known as Lord of Flies. He is also ex-husband of Astaroth and father of Lamia. He is Camio's mentor who nominate him.
BaalberithWestern King of Hell, and Lord of Spider. He is also Sytry's uncle and mentor.
- The Starscream: Wants Solomon's Ring so he can rule Hell and overthrow Lucifer. He also implies he plans on using it as a way to get back into Heaven.
- The Chessmaster
SamaelEastern King of Hell.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Horned Humanoid
- Undying Loyalty: To Lucifer, so much that it's implied he didn't nominate or support any candidate because of this.
BaphometDantalion's long suffering goat-headed butler, who is actually a high-rank demon. He considers William family because Dantalion cares deeply for the boy.
- Battle Butler
- Heroic Sacrifice: He shields William from a potentially fatal shot in a severely weakened state and as a result disappears
- Sacrificial Lion: His death is the result of a complex gambit by Camio in the race for the throne: Baalberith is manipulated by Camio's friend John Dee to send his minions to prevent Baphomet from his much needed rest in an attempt to weaken or even kill Dantalion. As a result, the tone of the series becomes darker as the power struggle in Hell turns deadly serious. Dantalion goes into a Heroic B.S.O.D. and, encouraged by Gilgamesh, vows to win the throne and destroy his rivals to avenge his friend.
- Supreme Chef: In comparison to his cooking, the school's food becomes unpalatable. Dantalion constantly smuggles food made by him into the dorm, and William likes to request sweets from him.
John DeeCamio's butler
- Historical-Domain Character: From real John Dee.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: After his human death he become Camio's sole household member.