Characters: Harvest Moon A New Beginning
Characters appearing in Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
The main character.
- Character Customization - You can fully customize their appearance, a first for the series.
- Dude, Where's My Respect? - They revitalise a town that has been stagnating for years, jump start its economy in a way that would make politicians weep with envy, build houses for free despite spending a fortune in time and money on the ingredients, meet increasingly difficult conditions to aid the growth of the town, and are running their own farm all the while. Yet certain townsfolk will still berate you if you lose a honey making contest or fail to construct a garden that is up to their standards.
- Expy: Rachel is a very clear expy of Claire from the earlier games; the only major difference is a hat. Henry looks a lot a remake of Pete.
- The Hero
- Heroic Mime
- Impossible Hair Color - Possible through initial customization or Allen's salon.
- Nice Hat - In their default/official designs, at least. Henry wears a puffy cap, and Rachel has a cowboy hat with a Holstein cow spot pattern.
- Renaissance Man - Farmer, miner, carpenter, chef, fisherman, sculptor, artist, landscaper...
open/close all folders
Bachelors and Bachelorettes
A waitress at the local restaurant.
- Big Eater - She's very fond of food, and she has a not-so-secret hobby as a food critic.
- In one of her dialogues she says she only ate three meals today.
- Clingy Jealous Girl - It's Played for Laughs after marriage; in one of her pregnancy dialogues, she jokingly says that she might get jealous if you pay too much attention to the baby.
- Expy - Of Maya from Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade; they're both waitresses who love food but aren't very good at cooking.
- Meido - Her work uniform gives off this vibe.
- That befriending her unlocks maid outfits strengthens it.
- Lethal Chef - Despite her love of food, she's not very good at making it.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts - Becomes this quite a bit if you marry her.
A girl who works as the town's blacksmith.
- The Blacksmith
- First Girl Wins - If you're playing as a guy and choose to pursue her, since she's the first bachelorette who moves to Echo Village.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Tsurime Eyes
- Yamato Nadeshiko - Sort of. She's very polite and welcoming, so she does have the characteristics of this. However her father wanted her to be one, instead of a blacksmith, so she left home so she wouldn't have to. Really she just hated it as a career choice.
A magician who moved to town to set up a magic act.
The gossipy delivery girl for the local newspaper.
A quiet, aloof girl who works as the town's tailor.
A cocky hairstylist, and Rod's best friend.
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: He starts out as a very tame, G-rated version of this, but gets better as he warms up to you.
- Childhood Friends: With Rod.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's certainly full of himself. He doesn't pull any punches should you lose a contest, and even when complimenting or thanking the female MC, he's condescending. He's a good friend to Rod, however, and will pull his weight as a boyfriend or husband.
- Not a Morning Person: He gets up at 6 like most of the townspeople, but if you speak to him in the morning he'll often tell you to go away and come back in the afternoon when he's more awake.
- The Perfectionist: He gets very upset over mistakes, even when the person he's "wronged" cheerfully brushes it off.
- Small Name, Big Ego
An adventure-loving young man who runs the pet shop.
A former reporter looking for a more peaceful life.
Amir's polite butler.
A reserved young man who runs the animal shop.
- Adorkable: Although he will forever be curt with you if you don't start dating him, he will try his best to be a good boyfriend/husband if you do chose to court him. His best isn't so good at first, and even after marriage his attempt to spontaneously say something loving to the female MC will apparently make her laugh at his awkwardness.
- Expy: Of Gray and Vaughn.
- First Boy Wins - If you're playing as a girl and choose to pursue him, since he's the first bachelor (and first marriage candidate overall) who moves to Echo Village.
- Jerk With A Heartof Gold: As stated above and below, he's not the nicest bachelor but he doesn't like to hurt the main character and is instantly apologetic when he does. Does even better once you start dating him and he promises(and follows through with it) to be a little better. He also really cares about animals.
- Not a Morning Person: He might be awake, but he doesn't have to like it...
- Not Good with People: Type 2. At high affection levels. he'll tell the MC to treat animals kindly, because they will return the favour — unlike treacherous humans.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Real Men Hate Sugar: He actually doesn't hate it due to manly reasons, but because of overexposure. His mother loved sweets, his father didn't care either way and so he grew up in a house where every meal was sweet. Becomes a funny instance of Gameplay and Story Segregation during the Pumpkin Festival and Winter Harmony Day where he'll accept your sweets but complain about eating them anyway.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Can be cutting and rude, even when asked out to do something nice (like Starry Night), but will instantly backpedal if he suspects he's hurt the female MC's feelings.
- Troubled, but Cute: Like a few other candidates he has a bad relationship with his father which is the reason why he ran away to Echo Village in the first place.. But he's also the grumpiest candidate.
- Verbal Tic : Expect to hear "geez" and "sheesh" a lot(especially when he's embarrassed). He also says "forget what I just said/forget I said that" so much it borders on being his catchphrase. To a lesser extent, "such a pain/what a pain".
The mayor of Echo Village.
An elderly woman who runs the general store.
Yuri's mother. She's in charge of shipping your produce.
- Bratty Half-Pint : Both Allen and Neil have something to say about his shenanigans at festivals.
- Disappeared Dad
- No Indoor Voice: Often greets your character with a loud shout. In one of his dialogues he asks the main character to copy him but they are too embarrassed to do so.
- Spell My Name with an S: The game will sometimes refer to him as Tony.
- Innocently Insensitive: To the point that he can be pretty bratty. He demands that you entertain him, gives Tina a hard time about her weight, and has one of the more obnoxious responses if you lose a crop contest, cheerfully surmising that you're "not all that, after all."
A pilot who runs a travel agency with his wife, Camellia.
She runs a travel agency with her husband, Charles.
Charles' and Camellia's daughter.
- Cheerful Child: She acts her age (unlike Nico, who's the chef at the inn) and isn't as rambunctious as Toni. She dotes on her parents and is keen to come and play on the farm.
- The Cutie: She's wearing one of her dad's pilot jackets, and it makes her even more adorable.
- Precocious Crush: She likes Allen and Charles better not forget that.
A famous chef who moved to town to try new recipes.
A fisherman and Hana's husband.
A woman who came to town to run a tea house.
An elderly lady who runs a barter stall at night.