Characters / DesuDesBrigade
Prof has been reviewing things for a quite a bit longer than his peers, and coincidentally has the most primitive reviews, just his avatar snarking at some esoteric anime.
- Berserk Button: May just be a side effect from the performance, but the Prof seems to hate cuteness of any kind. He doesn't hate every cute show, but facepalms if the moe seems included for no reason other than fanservice. And hey! That's what most anime is these days!
- Relatedly, he also loathes girly anime. Which is exactly why February/March 2011 was Girly Anime Month...
- Blue Oni: To Ark.
- Caustic Critic
- Covert Pervert: "Huh boobs what?" But subverted as it turns out.
- Deadpan Snarker: Though more exasperated than deadpan, Prof doesn't get mad as much as bitter.
- Distaff Counterpart: He now has one, voiced by Overactor
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gave his power to Vix in order to save JO.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Until, y'know, he was.
- In fact now he's being seen in real life a lot more in recent videos outside of Anime Dissection.
- The Hero
- Ink-Suit Actor
- Nice Hat
- No Sense of Direction: In Vixen's Let's Play of Final Fantasy I.
- Noble Bigot: Towards Vix, he calls her Sugar Tits and other insulting nicknames, but is still a decent character.
- Rule 63: Profette.
- Unknown Rival: Holds quite strong aversions against Bennett the Sage of That Guy with the Glasses and Blistered Thumbs, because he feels that he entered his turf by doing snarky reviews of bad anime. Bennett on the other hand never acknowledged knowing him. Former comrade and Desudes Ensemble Darkhorse JesuOtaku having popular crossovers with Bennett doesn't help.
By far the most successful and analytical of the Brigade, JO is notable for his in depth and objective reviews and his large amount of shows: JO Anime Reviews, In-Betweens, New Lyrics, and various Lets Plays
- ADCD: Let's see, he reviews anime, is making a retrospective on all the Digimon anime, dubs Anime Theme Songs, is analyzing the Trigun anime, has another job reviewing even more anime on Anime News Network and oh yeah, is currently working on a Radio Drama adaptation on the ENTIRE Fruits Basket manga (also, he works at a theater).
- Author Filibuster: He used his FLCL review as an opportunity to go on a rant about how Studio Gainax are complete HACKS when it comes to making Psychological Dramas and that they should stick to over-the-top goofiness and simple morals. He addressed this fact on his Twitter, and stated that the reason he did this was because FLCL was just way too simple for even him to talk about in length.
- Blue Oni: To Vixen.
- Break the Cutie: Bennett the Sage's goal for him. So far he's failed all three times.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Takes on a self-admittedly goofy Brooklyn gangster accent for his Baccano! review.
- Cloudcuckoolander: It's not as apparent in his reviews, but if you watch his Let's Plays, especially the Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 64 ones, it becomes clear that JO is something of one.
- His twitter is also a good source especially after he's had 5 cans of coke.
- He also mentions in his Azumanga Daioh review that among his friends, he's known as the Osaka of the group.
- Cool Big Bro: He lets his little sister make cameos in the live-action intros, and off-screen shares some of the more child-friendly anime with her.
- Covert Pervert: As demonstrated in Pocky Spot 22.
- Dear Negative Reader: Released a full-length one over his twitter sometime around mid/late-2011 in response to the frequent complaints about his aforementioned ADCD.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: His crossover review of Sucker Punch with Film Brain was a pretty severe example of this, as he was presenting as female at the time.
- Fake Brit: He makes fun of this trope at the beginning of her Hellsing review.
Hello, and welcome to the JesuOtaku anime review. Your mission today is to sit right where you are and listen to me talk about vampires in a phony-baloney British accent.
May God and Her Majesty be with you. Amen.
- Farm Boy
- Heroes Love Dogs: He's been shown playing with a roommate's dog and his love for wolves is part of why he loves Wolf's Rain.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: He has at least two cats who can show up in a review with him, notably Leo.
- Multicolored Hair: Recently sporting black hair with red highlights.
- Pink Product Ploy: He bought a computer case which was part of a PC Nash came out to build for him because of its unique pink color.
- Pretty Fly (For a White Guy): In the opening to Samurai Champloo review and his first line of the Digimon retrospective. The snarktitles are not impressed.
Aow! It's August!
- Running Gag: His gripes about GONZO and their varying production values.
- The Smart Guy
- Squee!: Not himself, but his snarktitles don't pass the chance in the Ouran High School Host Club review.
- Straight Gay: One of the things about his previous identity as a woman that didn't change is the fact that he's romantically interested in men.
The loud and proud Canadian badass, Ark is an oddity, he doesn't review the old school shows like Prof, nor Moe and Porn like Vix, and since Jesu Otaku reviews the bigger/cult shows, Ark seems to stick to recent releases that don't get the love and attention they might, or might not deserve.
The curvy and angry fanservice queen of the Brigade. Vix sometimes reviews Hentai, which brings out all that hilarious bile. She also does reviews of disney films, which show her a bit calmer if no less snarky, and the Twilight franchise, which brings out even more bile than usual.
The poor Moe
loving video editor of the site, Mal is definitely not a major player, now has Mal's Monthly Manga and Sake Shots, so that may be changing.
- Everyone Has Standards: Even he doesn't like Ikki Tousen. Bear in mind, he's the only one of the Brigadiers who likes ecchi series.
- The Faceless: Though a recent V-Log revealed what he looks like, so mystery solved.
- Kill It with Fire: In Vixen's Let's Play of Final Fantasy I, with his trusted Fira.
- Mad Scientist: Created Tsubake.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Has crippling addictions to moe, porn, and sake.
- Out of Focus: After a guest appearance on Desurattle and a short-lived review series, he stopped getting any real focus before eventually just vanishing from the team entirely.
- Robot Buddy: Vocaloids actually. First there was Miku, who despite being silent for production reasons, was well loved due to her real-life stardom. But then Vixen blew her to hell, and he built Tsubake for this.
- Token Evil Teammate: Is a self-proclaimed supervillain with a Killer Robot sidekick.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite being one of the founding members of the group, his appearances got more and more scant until eventually he seemed to just disappear with no explanation as to where he went. His short-lived review series never updated, Tsubake's videos were moved to Vixen's section instead of his and on the disbandment, despite being one of the founding members, he doesn't even make a farewell video. Interestingly the old Bukkit forums listed him as a "former member" alongside Hitch, Rabbit and Kagami before the official disbandment, suggesting that left the group before the disbandment actually happened, but it was never explained where he went or why he left.
A digital celebrity in Japan, as well as a favorite singer of Mal's, who helped Mal with Weekly Highlights and served as the site's mascot... Until Vixen tied her to a rocket and exploded her out of jealousy.
Another Vocaloid, created by Mal from Miku's parts and more. She speaks in a robotic monotone and is very loyal to her master despite his obvious shortcomings, and believes they will one day rule the world. She also has her own aspirations for world domination, a rivalry with Vixen and a deep disgust for all of humanity.
The first Sixth Ranger
to join the Brigade, Kagami makes AMVs and showcases them with her show K-Station. She got onto the group In-Universe by blackmailing them with a possible lawsuit about Tsubake killing her boyfriend.
The second Sixth Ranger
to join the Brigade, she hosts To Read Or Not To Read, Which tells people whether or not to read certain Manga
- American Accents: Well, she's using one. Just not a particular one.
- Animal Motifs: Obviously, a bunny girl.
- Bi the Way: Just check her Twitter/Formspring. Also mentioned wanting a girlfriend in at least one of Vixen's reviews.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: As seen in Vixen's review of Kaichou wa Maid-Sama, she mocks the main male character when Vixen calls him perfect and throws water on her when she starts getting too attracted to him.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: In recent appearances.
- Cute and Psycho: Probably the most adorable member of the site... who also electrified Hitch's balls just for the hell of it.
- Drop-In Character: Is seen quite often in Vix's newer reviews due to being her roommate.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Did Vixen's Strawberry Panic! several months before actually joining the site.
- Fake Brit: Inverted. She's naturally British, but uses an American accent for her show.
- Hot Librarian: Does her show in the Brigade HQ's Library.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Though as of her latest review, she's switched to live action.
- Les Yay: With Vixen, though in this case they invoked this on purpose to get her on the site.(In-Universe anyway).
- Kid-Appeal Character: One of Vixen's closest friends in real life and in-universe and recently joined the cast of Vixen's reviews, as well as being the youngest member of the team.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Averted. Her American accent sounds as natural as her British one.
- Seventh Ranger
The final Sixth Ranger
to join the site. He hosts Anime Movie Review which looks at... um Anime Movies.
- Chivalrous Pervert: While He enjoys Hentai and knows his stuff about the subject, he has a lot of respect for women. He also enjoys strong female leads and deplores rape.
- Doing It for the Art: Hitch's most recent upload, Top Ten Sing-alongs took hours to edit and put together. Every opening has its own unique timing ball, a matching font, and bounces along the lyrics in sync with the music. Its clear he put alot of effort into this episode.
- He also put together and uploaded a preview of AMR - on his birthday.
- Eighth Ranger
- Face Palm: His reaction to this in his Vampire Wars review after believing that "Project D" stands for "Project Dracula"
Kuki: Well, if they are using "Dracula"...
Hitch: How much of you wanna bet it's "Van Helsing?"
Kuki: I shall be known as "Bat!"
Hitch: (doing it repeatedly) Face palm! Face palm! Face palm! Face palm! Face palm! Face palm!
- Female Gaze: His Brigade avatar has a noticeable crotch bulge. This wouldn't be noteworthy except that no such thing exists on any of the other male Brigaders' avatars.
- And you only see him in his videos from the waist up so we can't confirm if it's part of his outfit or this trope.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: When not reviewing, he's actually a very sweet guy who adores felines. This extends to using Lolcats as censor bars.
- One Steve Limit: Averted. He and Prof both go by "CJ".
- Loveable Sex Maniac: To a degree, but he somehow contests Prof for the site's biggest pervert after La Blue Girl.
- Meganekko: He likes women with glasses.
- Straight Man
- Tempting Fate / Brick Joke: After learning of the afore mentioned Project D being done at a NASA base, he said, "I am so outta here the moment they mention space vampires!" Much later in the review, near the end, when the vampire tells Kuki about their battle with evil aliens across the universe...
Hitch: Done. I am not doing space vampires! No! Done. Done! Dammit!!
- The Smurfette Principle: Inverted, Prof and Ark brought him on in universe to even out the ratio of female to male Brigaders... and because he owns a sombrero.
Known as Holy Diver on Youtube
, he teams up with Vixen to review the Twilight
scanner that Tsubake met during her trip to Walmart. He later asked her out under the impression she was a dominatrix... yeah the only reason he's still alive is that he has loads of money and now works as Tsubake's weapons supplier.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Seems like a nice enough guy...until you realize that he only asked Tsubake out because he thought she would have sex with him, and then blew up at her for it. He also steals money from innocent people.
- Covert Pervert
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Happiness in Slavery: He's perfectly alright with his job, provided he takes a little bit from the people who use him.
- He also happily funds Tsubake... despite the fact that she would kill him the second he stopped being useful and he's well aware of this.
- Hopeless Suitor: He didn't have much of a chance before he called Tsubake a fetish doll, and she freely admits he's just there to give her money as far as she's concerned.
- Secretly Wealthy: By stealing money from the people who use him.
An Opposite-Sex Clone
of Professor Otaku who showed up at the end of his review of Prétear
. She also reviewed Fushigi Yuugi
and Prof went back to normal... but she ended up sticking around.
A combination of Ditto and Vixen, Ditzen is Vixen's ditzy clone who lives in the attic and takes over the Q&A for her.
Steve and Joe
A pair of stock footage cameramen who appear in every episode of AMR to Hitch's annoyance. They shoot Hentai and comment on the sex related clips on the show.
- Phrase Catcher: SHUT UP!
- Stock Footage: From the Hentai Anime "Chain of Lust." There, their names were Masaki Kitazawa and Koji Miyamoto.
- Those Two Guys
- Unwanted Assistance: They show up in Hitch and Vixen's review of La Blue Girl and insist on talking about the clitris in their usual fashion despite Hitch telling them not to, correctly guessing he'd get more electric shocks as a result.