Characters / Demon Blade
A list of characters from Crazed Ninja
's Demon Blade
The main character, a 13-year old bounty hunter and the son of a military advisor who had betrayed and killed the Feudal Overlord
he was working for 12 years ago. Diablo's father was himself murdered four years before the events of the story.
Diablo is a Jerk Ass
who, while his goals seem noble, he's really only aiming for them to satisfy his own needs. He doesn't fight crime because he wants his village to be safe, he does it for the money. He isn't trying to take down the Religion of Evil
to stop them from opening the sealed evil can
, he's just doing it so they don't take his
soul. He didn't rescue his client's daughter because he genuinely cares for her life, he's just interested in getting a tip.
Tsurugi Diablo displays examples of:
- Badass Cape
- Bandage Babe (After having his wounds treated by Hinako from his battle with Dios)
- Blood Upgrade (Making him bleed his own blood is arguably the fastest way to lose in a fight against him.)
- Brains and Brawn (Diablo's got the brawn, Dr. Suno's got the brains.)
- Combat Pragmatist
- Glass Cannon (Ends fights quickly, but tends to take a while to recover after taking just one or two hits.)
- Good Is Not Nice (Becomes this after he has something to protect.)
- Half-Human Hybrid (Deconstructed. Due to high tension between humans and demons, Diablo's father had to keep him a secret from the world, and in the present day, he has to conceal his demon traits when he goes out in public.)
- Heroes Prefer Swords (Probably the first hint that he's not such a bad guy.)
- The Hero
- Improbable Use of a Weapon (His sword is a rapier. However, he often creates an energy blade around it so he can slash with it.)
- Katanas Are Just Better (Variation: His sword changes shape depending on who holds it, and it's a rapier in Diablo's hands, but he usually creates a katana-shaped energy blade around it when he fights seriously.)
- Meaningful Name ("Diablo" and "Tsurugi" mean "Devil" and "Sword" in Spanish and Japanese, respectively.)
- Red Oni, Blue Oni (Diablo is a Red Oni, and has had both Dr. Suno and Dogma for Blue Oni.)
- Shirtless Scene (Courtesy of Yara-ma-yha-who and much to Michiko's delight, Diablo takes off his soaked shirt to increase his mobility.)
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Most of the comic's profanity comes from Diablo, although rarely does he go further than "ass" and "damn".
- Sword Beam
- Small Name, Big Ego (At first)
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs (Insists that Dogma call him "Tsurugi the Great")
- Trademark Favorite Food (Kitsune udon; noodles with fried tofu on top)
- What the Hell, Hero? (Hinako calls Diablo out on his selfish reasons for wanting to fight Dios alone.)
Dr. Suno Takamaru
That loon who's always inventing crazy things, Dr. Suno also runs a clinic. However, he was also an officer for the Evil Empire
, and built many a Humongous Mecha
for their use, a decision he deeply regrets. He opened his clinic to save as many lives as he could after indirectly claiming so many.
Dr. Suno Takamaru displays examples of:
Dr. Suno's daughter, who first appears as a Distressed Damsel
, but later turns out to be an Action Girl
. Unfortunately, her training is incomplete, due to her teacher's murder several years ago. Her training partner was Jay von Schlag.
Suno Hinako displays examples of:
Michiko is the daughter of a man who fought in the war, and is also Hinako's best friend. She makes few appearances in the beginning, but becomes more important after she's kidnapped by Vlad.
- Badass Adorable: Once she Took a Level in Badass.
- Badass Normal
- Betty and Veronica (The Betty to Hinako's Veronica.)
- Chekhov's Gunman (She doesn't immediately appear to be one of the main characters.)
- Combat Pragmatist: Seems to have rubbed off on her from Diablo, against inhuman enemies at least; she has no problem shoving her sword down Yara-ma-yha-who's throat. Then again, he did have Diablo cornered...
- Dual Wielding: Fights with a combination of... a fencing foil and a bamboo shinai.
- Gender-Blender Name (Sort of. Michiko's first name is pretty feminine, but in Japanese culture (which most citizens of Tengu Town live by), only family members and the closest of friends are usually on a First-Name Basis, and her last name is Baki, which as a first name would be masculine.)
- Girlish Pigtails
- Goofy Print Underwear (An omake strip reveals that she wears fox-print panties.)
- Licked by the Dog (One of the few characters whose first impression of Diablo is a good one.)
- Luminescent Blush (Very, very prone to this, especially when it comes to Diablo.)
- Mixed Ancestry: Michiko's father hails from the Land of the Death God, but her mother was Japanese. This is shown by her skin being lighter than that of her fully-Japanese friends.
- Series Mascot (Michiko may not be the main character or even a very important one, but she is the author's favorite, and it definitely shows in his deviantART gallery, to the point where one of his New Year's resolutions for 2011 was to draw less of her.)
- Tagalong Kid
- Teacher/Student Romance (In a one-sided example, Michiko has a crush on Diablo, her swordplay teacher.)
- Took a Level in Badass (She goes from being a Distressed Damsel to a competent fencer, and even saves Diablo at one point)
- Theme Naming (See Hinako's example above)
- Those Two Guys (Subverted)
- Violently Protective Girlfriend (Toward Diablo, though she'll insist that she's a Violently Protective Student instead.)
- Yaoi Fangirl
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
- Younger Than They Look: She's slightly curvier than your average 12-year-old.
Michiko's father, a soldier who opposed the Evil Empire
during the war. As if the stress from the war wasn't enough, his wife was also Stuffed into the Fridge
some time ago.
Hinako's mother. A somewhat paranoid woman who initially suspects that Diablo is just another member of the Faustian Cult.
Carl's cousin (also making him Michiko's cousin once removed) who works as a mechanic for the military.
Hinako's other best friend who may or may not want to make out with her
A general in the military. She is Carl and Ivory's superior. See Zula below for more tropes.
The leader of the military. Little else is known about him at this point.
The friendly ramen stand owner who always listens to Diablo's problems while cooking him some bitchin' noodles.
The teacher of Hinako, Michiko and Natsuki's class.
The first monk of the Faustian Cult who gets sent after Diablo. He quickly becomes somewhat of a rival to him, each wanting to accomplish their own goals, but especially wanting to beat each other.
Loki's partner, a mysterious and creepy masked gunman. Wears a mask similar to Zula's.
- Almighty Janitor (Despite his low rank, it turns out he's deadlier than many of his own superiors.)
- Artificial Limbs
- Biseinen (With his mask off, anyway)
- Brother–Sister Team (With Zula.)
- Coat, Hat, Mask
- Combat Tentacles (In his Poseidon form)
- The Dragon (By default after Zula's death)
- Gonk (His old face)
- Good Scars, Evil Scars (He had a scar across the bridge of his nose until he got a new face.)
- The Gunslinger
- I Have Many Names (He is also known as Luigi Marino (his birth name) and Bruno Ferrari (the false identity he used to flee from America.))
- The Mafia (He and Zula were part of the American Mafia, but got new identities in order to flee the country.)
- Making a Splash (Thanks to the Poseidon)
- Mask of Power
- Meaningful Name: In Norse Mythology, Heimdall was the guardian of the Bifrost bridge, and is also described as the "whitest of the Gods". In Demon Blade, Heimdall is the last person to guard the entrance to the Faustian Cult's hideout, and also has white hair and wears a white mask.
- One-Winged Angel
- Perpetual Frowner (Wears a tragedy mask)
- Red Baron: Heimdall is just a nickname. Albeit one that he came up with himself so the authorities would know what to call him, but a nickname nonetheless.
- Theme Naming (Loki and Heimdall were named after Norse deities)
- White Hair, Black Heart (Even watching his own sister die right in front of him didn't seem to faze him.)
- White Mask of Doom
- Wolverine Claws
Loki and Heimdall's superior, and the first of Dios' Four Avatars. He's actually been looking for a warrior qualified to take down the cult, while deliberately hindering them from within.
- Affably Evil (Justified since the "Evil" part is just an act anyway.)
- Cool Shades
- Extremity Extremist (Dogma almost exclusively uses kicks. In fact, the battle where he loses use of his right arm is the one fight in which he's ever shown throwing a punch.)
- Handicapped Badass: After he's stabbed by Heimdall. He can't use his right arm, but he can still kick your ass. Literally.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Homage (His hair is deliberately drawn to resemble Sonic the Hedgehog, as a nod to the very, very early drafts of the comic.)
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Muscles Are Meaningless
- Reasonable Authority Figure (His father was a cop who had a strong sense of justice.)
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: One of the Blue Oni to Diablo's Red Oni. Aside from their colors, they are also opposites in three ways:
- Diablo is a demon who allies himself with humans, whereas Dogma is a human who works with demons. At first, anyway.
- Diablo dresses like a sophisticated swordsman, in sharp contrast to his brash personality. Dogma, on the other hand, dresses like an average street thug but acts like a gentleman.
- Diablo performs a usually high-brow combat discipline (swordplay) in a rather unrefined manner, while Dogma takes a typically barbaric fighting style (street brawling) and makes it look far more graceful.
- Reverse Mole
- Scars Are Forever (After his fight with Diablo, he's shown with faint claw scars on his face.)
- Sunglasses at Night (He even wears them in the cold, dark depths of Dios' hideout.)
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair (Literally.)
Local yakuza boss, and the second of Dios' Four Avatars. He strikes a deal with Diablo and Dr. Suno after Hinako is poisoned
Yaibato's right hand man, a kitsune who's addicted to cigarettes, and tends to work in tandem with Ishimaru.
Yaibato's left hand man, an alcoholic tanuki who usually assists in his partner and boss' attacks, rather than directly fighting.
Jay von Schlag
The gatekeeper of the Faustian Cult's hideout, who used to be acquainted with Hinako, until her teacher (his father) was killed. He later underwent a Heel–Face Turn, however.
The third of Dios' Four Avatars, a maniacal and mechanical being who is also incredibly sadistic, and will kill without a second thought.
The fourth and final of Dios' Four Avatars. Appears to be the cult's tactician, formulating most of the plans and strategies that the monks and other three avatars perform.
The leader of the Faustian Cult. Dedicated to resurrecting the ancient demon Faust in order to kill Mephisto, his former boss.
An ancient demon who Dios is trying to resurrect.
- Attack Its Weak Point (All the souls composing Faust's body are held together by a stone. After the stone is broken, he becomes significantly weaker.)
- Beam-O-War (Has one with Diablo.)
- Bigger Bad (Serves as the heroes' final opponent in the Faustian Cult arc, despite Dios being the main antagonist for most of it.)
- Came Back Wrong (Having no physical body or brain, he has no control over his own soul, and thinks of nothing other than absorbing more souls after he's resurrected.)
- Finger Gun (Can fire lasers from his fingers.)
- Immune to Bullets (Doesn't even flinch when shot by the military's tanks.)
- Many Spirits Inside of One (The reason Dios caused the deaths of so many people was to completely rebuild Faust's body out of their souls.)
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip (Creates an illusion of Carl's wife to distract him... and then kill him.)
- Walking Spoiler