Characters: Attack on Titan: The Garrison
The largest branch, responsible for guarding the Walls and handling its routine maintenance. Prior to the loss of Wall Maria, they were considered little more than glorified repairmen and suffered heavy losses in the Battle of Trost.Main Character Index
| 104th Trainee Corps
| Survey Corps
| Military Police Brigade
| Before The FallWARNING: Unmarked spoilers abound.
Beware if you are not up to date with the manga
Tropes that apply to the Garrison as a whole:
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: Happens temporarily during Trost when Titans manage to get into their district headquarters and cut everyone off from the supply rooms.
- Cannon Fodder: They make up the bulk of the military, and most never intended to actually have to fight. Their job during the Battle of Trost essentially involves being slaughtered to give civilians time to evacuate and hope the Survey Corps arrive in time to help.
- City Guards: Responsible for maintaining the Walls, manning its defenses, and evacuating the citizens.
- Cowardly Lion: After the first part of Trost goes horribly, most of the Garrison is ready to desert since they see no reason to keep fighting. Once Pixis gives them a reason (their loved ones), they stand their ground when it counts most.
- Dual Wielding: It's standard issue for the military.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: They're on the doing end of this as they send a messenger to bring back the Survey Corps to help in the Battle of Trost.
- Hold the Line: Their job in a nutshell whenever a Wall gets breached. During the Battle of Trost they are under great pressure to prevent the Titans from breaching the main part of Wall Rose once the Titans get through the Wall surrounding Trost.
- Hufflepuff House: The Survey Corps takes the most passionate recruits, and the Military Police Brigade only accepts the 10 best from every graduating class. The Garrison takes everyone else, making them by far the largest and least defined branch.
- Spell My Name with an S: In a similar vein to the Survey Corps, the name of this branch has been translated several ways: official translations go with "The Garrison," but other translations have gone with "The Stationary Guard."
- Tower Defense: After the Colossal Titan and Armored Titan give them a wake-up call in the form of breaching Wall Maria, they're actually pretty good shots with their cannons when Wall Rose is attacked 5 years later, but unfortunately Titans can regenerate unless the nape of their neck is hit.
- We Have Become Complacent: Humanity in general suffered from this, though the Garrison deserves mention for this since the Survey Corps never got lazy during the 100 year lull and the Police Brigade always were. The very day that the Colossal Titan showed up for the first time, we see some Garrison members drinking and playing cards on duty.
- After the loss of Wall Maria, the Garrison took massive steps to subvert this, including heavily fortifying the gate from the Trost District to Wall Maria (said fortifications were mostly destroyed when the Colossal Titan breached the gates, but their efforts were very noticeable), forming an evacuation plan should Trost ever be breached, and eventually being the backbone of the force that retook Trost.
- We Have Reserves: Due to the high mortality rate of the Survey Corps scaring off most potential volunteers and the high standards of entry for the Military Police Brigade, the Garrison has the largest army among the three divisions.
Voiced by: Masahiko Tanaka (JP), R Bruce Elliott (EN)
"If it means mankind will live on, I don't mind being called a murderer."
The commanding officer responsible for the entire Southern territory within Wall Rose, noted for his eccentric personality. He is the first to recognize the great potential in Eren, and organizes the mission to reclaim Trost in response.
- Adult Fear: Invoked, he persuades all of the Garrison and Trainees to not desert at Trost by forcing them to imagine their loved ones (children included) being eaten and shaming them for being willing to let that happen by running away.
- Badass Mustache: Well-groomed. A perfect drape over his silver tongue.
- Bald of Awesome: A bit on the seasoned side, but an awesome commander and guy regardless.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: At one point, he claims he wouldn't mind being eaten by a Titan if it was an attractive female. He also gets away with things like falling asleep in odd places, drinking on duty, and flirting with subordinates (occasionally), though he may just be joking.
- Bystander Syndrome: He seems to decide against aiding the Survey Corps in their rebellion against the monarchy.
- The Chessmaster: Armin mentions him, along with Erwin, as brilliant commanders that are not afraid to sacrifice their troops to reach an important goal.
- Cool Old Guy: Competent, reasonable, and just slightly quirky enough to stay interesting regardless.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Everyone thinks he's completely lost it when he advocates a plan to use Eren's Titan form to seal off the Trost gate. Like Armin, he knows that humanity is in a bad enough spot to make said plan their best option.
- Drinking On Duty: Pulls out a characteristic flask every now and then. No one respects him any less for it, though. As of Chapter 51, Anka is trying to keep him off the booze.
- Elephant in the Living Room: During his Rousing Speech, he states the awful truth that everyone knows but doesn't want to talk about: they are fed and alive today because of the thousands that were sent to their deaths 5 years ago. He goes even further to say that everyone bears the weight of that sin and that things will get even worse for humanity if Wall Rose falls, promising that society itself would not survive if they lose it. This harsh realization is part of what motivates everyone to stand their ground.
- A Father to His Men: He doesn't like sending soldiers to their deaths, but at the same time also doesn't want to let the Titans advance any further than they already have. During a Rousing Speech, he manages to keep soldiers from rebelling or leaving so that humanity may finally have a chance to stand up to the Titans and possibly win against them.
- Going Cold Turkey: Anka later confiscates his alcohol. Without his buzz, Pixis is shown to be a bit more grim than usual.
- Heel Realization/I'm Going to Hell for This: When Erwin recognizes that he's caused the deaths of so many people, he admits he believes there's a spot in Hell waiting for him. Pixis remarks that he's the same and asks if he can join him there.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Perfectly willing to sacrifice his men, if that's what it takes for humanity to survive.
- The Needs of the Many: Like Erwin, he's fully aware of what has to be done to ensure that humanity lives on.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Mentions he wouldn't mind being eaten by a Titan if it was a sexy lady. He expresses disappointment when there's none to be seen during the Battle of Trost.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Plays dumb to keep the favor of the upper class. As he leaves a marquis' estate to go lead the Battle of Trost, his assistant sharply reminds the nobleman that Pixis is a competent commander that ''doesn't'' need to throw chess games out in the field.
- Put on a Bus/The Bus Came Back: Disappears from story relevance after the Trost arc as the story focuses on the Survey Corps and Wall Maria. He later returns when Wall Rose is threatened again.
- Quick Nip: Regularly takes a sip of alcohol before doing anything serious.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is willing to listen to Eren instead of executing him on the spot after finding out about Eren's ability to transform into a Titan. He also sides with Erwin for having Eren join the Survey Corps instead of the Military Police since he'll be more useful there instead of being experimented on and dissected, though all he can do is not cast his lot for the latter party.
- Rousing Speech/Shaming the Mob: When the soldiers panic and threaten to desert after the Titans' assault on Trost, intending to spend the last minutes of their lives with their families, he gives them a short but effective speech to convince them to fight.
Titans are terrible creatures, and once someone gives in to that fear, they can never fight one of them again! Those of you who have already experienced that dread are free to go away! FINALLY! Those of you would let their parents, siblings, and loved ones to experience such terror for themselves... are all free to walk away!
- Shoo Out the Clowns: When he returns much later in the story after Trost, he's noticeably less quirky and more serious, reflecting how much worse things have gotten since then (for one, his assistant is now withholding his liquor from him).
- You Have Failed Me: Defied. He's smart enough to understand that trying to punish his troops during a crisis would only do more harm than good. See Rousing Speech for what he does instead.
- You Shall Not Pass: The core of his Rousing Speech is convincing everyone to stand their ground and absolutely not let the Titans take Wall Rose, lest humanity suffer further disaster and tragedy.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (JP), David Wald (EN)
A long-time friend of the Yeager family, and Captain in the Garrison. He spent his days drinking and slacking off, while occasionally doing his best to keep Eren out of trouble. He feels a strong sense of debt to them, after Grisha saved his wife from an epidemic. His inability to save Carla from the Titans greatly haunts him, and he feels a strong paternal fondness towards Eren, Mikasa, and Armin.
Voiced by: Yūya Murakami (JP), Scott Freeman (EN)
The leader of the operation to plug the breach in Wall Rose. He sacrifices himself
along with most other Garrison Elite troops to ensure the operation's success.
- Armor-Piercing Question: After Eren loses control in his Titan form and tries to punch Mikasa, Rico and Mitabi tell him to abort the mission and retreat. He responds by telling everyone to protect Eren at all costs. When this is met with disapproval, he asks them how else they are supposed to defeat the Titans and wants to know if they have a better plan. While Rico and Mitabi are still not wholly convinced, it at least motivates them enough to follow his orders and fight.
- Badass: That's a given, as a member of the Garrison Elite Force. Even Mikasa respects him.
- Determinator: The databook has his resolve at 11/10. Not only is he willing to believe in Titan Eren even after Rico and Mitabi try to abort the operation, he even fights to bitter end to ensure that Titan Eren makes it to the breach, pulling off a Heroic Sacrifice in the process.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: The anime expands on his death scene, showing him leap into the mouth of a Titan to rescue one of his men. As he's about to be decapitated, he screams encouragement to Mikasa.
- Genre Savvy: He is aware that when humanity is suddenly given something significantly more potent at Titan-slaying than conventional means and has a reasonable chance of sealing the Trost Gate, they need to make good use of it, no matter what it is. It's why he orders the Elite Squad to defend it with their lives, even when it hits a major snag initially and everyone is ready to give up on it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices himself along with Mitabi and most other members of the Elite Squads to ensure Eren's safety. It's expanded a bit in the anime, where he save a fellow soldier from a Titan's jaws, only to be caught in instead and decapitated shortly after.
- I Got You Covered: He and the Elite Squad give it their full to keep the Titans off Eren during his important mission.
- Off with His Head!: A Titan bites his head off.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is the only Garrison member under Wörman's command who considers listening to Armin after they see Eren transforming into a Titan right in front of them. Furthermore he sees the value Eren brings as a Titan Shifter and refuses to abandon him even after the operation gets botched initially, ordering his troops to protect him at all costs.
- You Shall Not Pass: He is adamant about not letting the Titans just eat Eren when he's pinned down and orders everyone to cover him until he can get out of the situation.
Voiced by: Michiko Kaiden (JP), Morgan Garrett (EN)
A Squad Leader in the 1st Division Elite Force, assigned to work alongside Eren during the mission to plug the breach in Wall Rose. She's quick to signal the mission as a failure, and has strong doubts over him being an asset to humanity. She is one of the Garrison members guarding the Eastern Line of Defense after Titans are sighted within Wall Rose.
- Badass: One of the best soldiers the Garrison has to offer. She promptly delivers an Eye Scream to the last Titan standing in Eren's way, long enough to allow Mikasa to cut its nape.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: While it's not quite noticeable due to her hair color, her eyebrows are larger than most of the cast.
- Changed My Mind, Kid / I Got You Covered: She ends up fighting fiercely to help Eren accomplish his mission, after having been his most vocal critic.
- The Dead Have Names: In a classic example of the trope, Rico lists the names of the soldiers about to die for Eren's mission to succeed.
- Eye Scream: Delivers one to the very last Titan standing in Eren's way during the mission to plug the breach in Wall Rose.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Fitting her cool, serious demeanor.
- Meganekko: An attractive, petite woman in glasses.
- Not So Stoic: Started out seeming very cold, critical and aloof. However, being in witness of mankind's very first victory over the Titans has her fall to her knees in tears, telling her fallen comrades they didn't die in vain.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: She attempts to abort the mission, reporting it as a failure. Ian manages to convince her to stay, though.
- Sole Survivor: Of the Garrison elites who are tasked with protecting Eren long enough for him to seal up the breach in Trost District. By the time Levi and the rest of the Survey Corps show up to save them, only Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and Rico are left standing.
Voiced By: Takanori Hoshino (JP), Kyle Hebert (EN)
A Squad leader assigned to work with Eren during the mission to plug the breach in Wall Rose. He sacrifices himself
along with most other Garrison Elite troops to ensure the operation's success.
- Ass Shove: He threatens to do this, in order to attract the Titans' attention.
- Badass Beard: A small goatee.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He and his squad act as bait to lure the Titans away, exactly knowing that moving on the ground would be suicide.
- I Got You Covered: He and the Elite Squad put their lives on the line to keep the Titans off Eren during his important mission.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Attempts to abort the mission after Eren loses control in his Titan form. Ian convinces him to stay though.
- Suicide Mission: He leads one with the remainders of his squad, to lure the Titans away from Eren.
Voiced By: Hayama Ikumi (JP), Jamie Marchi (EN)
A female soldier assigned to Dot Pixis, often seen escorting him. She expresses frustration with her commander's worst habits.
- Beleaguered Assistant: She complains about having to deal with him, and his numerous quirks.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: It's apparently not the first time she's had to wake him up in strange places.
- Dope Slap: To wake her dozing commander up.
- Servile Snarker: She seems to have a fairly laid-back relationship with her commander, at least in private. She smacks him upside the head and he flirts with her.
- Those Two Guys: A female/male variant with Gustav.
- Unkempt Beauty: Pixis describes her as being beautiful, though she seems fairly unconcerned with her appearance.
Voiced By: Tomoyuki Shimura (JP), Christopher Sabat (EN)
One of the senior officers in charge of the defense of Trost. He abandons the trainees under his command, and later attempts to execute Eren, Armin, and Mikasa. He is one of the Garrison members guarding the Eastern Line of Defense after Titans are sighted within Wall Rose.
- Adaptation Distillation: In the manga the HQ briefing to the trainees was given by a minor character, but he gets it for added hypocrisy in the anime.
- As You Know: In the anime "As you know, desertion in face of the enemy is punishable by death!"
- Bad Boss: Threatens or abandons the people under his command.
- Dirty Coward: Pixis notes he's as "brittle as a twig". He's being polite, there are twigs far harder to snap than this man.
- Hypocrite: A man ruled by fear who leaps to execute people deserting in fear. In the anime even more poignant as he abandons the Supply Squad trainees in HQ to flee the Titans. Such a paragon of leading by example.
- Freak Out: Exists in a near-permanent state of this. Eren being a Titan pushes him very, very far over the edge.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He was wrong about Eren, but his paranoid rantings about Titan children sent to infiltrate the human ranks ended up being true.
- Just Following Orders: Used to justify abandoning the trainees under his command.
- The Neidermeyer: He mainly exists to show that in all branches of the military there's incompetent and unfit officers, Garrison included.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: He was ready to use a cannon armed with a High Explosive shell on Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. Read that again, a HE shell on 3 kids. It ends up not being overkill since a partially-formed Human Titan skeleton proved tough enough to withstand the blast.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Basically his defining physical feature.