Characters: Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
This motley crew is a list of characters from the Atelier series' Arland trilogy who made their first appearance in Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland. For characters who debuted in Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru, visit those pages.(Names in parentheses are Rorona's nicknames for the other characters.)
Rorolina "Rorona" Frixell
Voiced by: Mai Kadowaki (JP), Julie Maddalena (EN)The protagonist of the game. Rorona is a 17-year-old alchemist-in-training left to oversee the workshop by Astrid. She's cheerful and outgoing, but also quite clumsy, even by her own admission.
- Apologizes a Lot: Comes naturally with being the Cute Clumsy Girl.
- But Now I Must Go: In the Normal Ending, as Rorona's relationship with the people wasn't high enough to get enough jobs for the workshop to turn a profit. Lionela or Tantris can join her.
- The Chew Toy: And to quote Astrid, a pretty durable one.
- Childhood Friends: With Cordelia and Iksel.
- Christmas Cake: in Atelier Meruru. Well, she's supposed to be one, if it weren't for Astrid.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- The Ditz
- Fountain of Youth: Turns into her 9-year old self by accident in Atelier Meruru. She's still useful as ever, though, and is actually rather happy about it.
- Nice Hat
- The Nicknamer: Has a habit of brainstorm nicknames within moments of meeting someone.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: This is probably going to be her fate, thanks to Astrid.
- This is averted in Atelier Meruru Plus, where one of the endings has her revert to her real age.
- Simple Staff: Uses nicely decorated ones as her weapons of choice, Also serves as her symbol as an alchemist (Her original staff was a feature on the sign for her Atelier).
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: She never returns to her normal age in any of the endings of Atelier Meruru, even the ones that involve her growing back up, as she only returns to being 14 years old. The Plus version fixed this by adding a new ending where Rorona returns to her normal age, however.
- She Is All Grown Up: In Atelier Totori, she has grown into a beautiful young woman. In Atelier Meruru, however, not so much.
- Supreme Chef: She has a real talent for baking pies. One ending even has her become the best pie chef in Arland.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pie: For her, it's Serious Business.
- Twice Shy: With Sterk, assuming you aim for his flag of course.
- Why Did It Have to Be Ghosts?
- You Remind Me of X: According to Astrid, Rorona reminds her of her deceased mentor.
- Younger Than They Look: She's 14 in the original Japanese version.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A in the outfit she wears in the original game's pie ending.
Cordelia von Feuerbach (Cory)
Voiced by: Eri Kitamura (JP), Wendee Lee (EN)Rorona's closest friend. She comes from a rich family, but doesn't like it when others bring that fact up. Cory also doesn't like it when she's teased about her short stature. She is the first one to join Rorona on her adventures.
- Becoming the Mask: In her ending when she becomes the workshop's manager and Rorona declares she isn't much different from Astrid.
- Childhood Friends: With Rorona and possibly Iksel.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Her normal attack, sort of. More like wild arm flailing.
- Hair Decorations: Two blue ribbons on her pigtails.
- She wears a red ribbon to tie her hair up in a ponytail in the sequel.
- Hair of Gold
- The Gunslinger: For some special attacks. And finally becomes one for real in Atelier Totori.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Motor Mouth
- The Napoleon
- Ojou: It's not mentioned often though.
- Older Than They Look: She's 16 in the first game and in her early 20's in the sequel (21 in Japan and 22 in NA).
- Subverted in the original Japanese version as her appearance and height are rather suitable for a 13 year old, at least for the first game.
- Put on a Bus: Only gets mentioned a few times in Atelier Meruru, but otherwise, doesn't appear at all.
- She Is All Grown Up: Subverted. Unlike Rorona and Iksel, despite being much older, she hasn't grown at all. In fact, 13-year old Totori is taller than her!
- Quest Giver: her role in Atelier Totori
- Spoiled Sweet: Despite being incredibly wealthy, she doesn't think much of it. In fact, her character events revolve around her giving out easy requests for Rorona and granting her large sums of money as a reward.
Iksel Jahnn (Iksy)
Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)A chef who works at the Sunrise Cafe. He's usually a courteous young lad, but he becomes Hot-Blooded whenever cooking is involved. After Rorona goes out on her first adventure with Cordelia, Iksel decides to help Rorona out with her assignments, as well.
- Chef of Iron
- Childhood Friends: With Rorona and possibly Cordelia.
- Combat Medic: He can cook up meals to recover HP during battle.
- Does Not Like Spam: He dislikes mushrooms.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: If he loses the Cabbage Festival to you.
- Fiery Redhead
- Frying Pan of Doom: His weapon of choice.
- He Is All Grown Up: In the sequel, much like Rorona.
- Hot-Blooded: It even says in his official game profile.
- The Not-Love Interest: To Rorona. He's her Childhood Friend, the first male party member, and a year older than her, something he has in common with the implied love interests in the two games that follow. However, despite being hinted at having feelings for Rorona in a few of his events and ending, Sterk is ultimately the preferred Love Interest; and any signs of his having feelings for Rorona are more or less gone in Atelier Totori.
- Put on a Bus: Only makes a brief cameo in Atelier Meruru.
- Ship Tease: Has some with Rorona in his endings and some of his events. It gets lampshaded by Hom in one of the endings, where he/she comments that they act like a married couple.
- Supreme Chef: As expected, given his profession.
Sterkenburg Cranach (Sterk)
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi (JP), Liam O Brien (EN)A knight who works at the palace, and is responsible for giving Rorona her assignments. He tries to act serious most of the time because he believes it's how a knight should behave. Sterk joins Rorona after she successfully completes her first assignment.
- Badass Cape: In this game.
- Badass Longcoat: In Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru.
- Took a Level in Badass: Seems to get progressively more badass in every installment. Taken up a notch with his finisher. Also, according to an event in the third game, he's shown to have become badass enough to nearly become Gio's equal (if Gio's comments after the fight are anything to go by).
- BFS: It's still pretty realistic compared to other examples, though.
- The Cameo: A sign of Gust being owned by Koei Tecmo, Sterk appears as a playable character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.
- Darker and Edgier: Substantially more so in appearance in Atelier Totori.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: He tends to dislike it when people call him by his name... especially Astrid.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: In his special attack in Atelier Meruru. No, really.
- Implied Love Interest: to Rorona
- Knight in Shining Armor: Well, it's what he WANTED to be at least. Turns out knights don't really do so much these days. He does eventually get his chance to play the part.
- Lolicon: some players accused Sterk as this, for the amount of Ship Tease he gets with Rorona and the fact that they're the closest thing to the series' Official Couple.
- Older Than They Look: He's only a year younger than Esty and Astrid. That said, he doesn't look much older than Iksel or Tantris.
- Perpetual Frowner: Spend most of the game wearing this expression, which understandably tends to scare Rorona. The remake depicts this perfectly.◊
- Put on a Bus: An optional one happens after defeating Suni Sterm, in which he will be out of commission for 80 days.
- Ship Tease: Out of all the guys in games, he gets the most with Rorona.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He comes across as quite cold (something, Esty berates him about), but is a decent guy, who is genuinely concerned about the future of workshop (and Rorona).
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Troubled, but Cute
- Twice Shy: With Rorona, assuming you aim for his flag of course.
- UST: Poor Sterk. By the end of Atelier Meruru's True Ending, Rorona is never cured and he'll get older and older...and there's no sign he'll going for Astrid or Esty. Of course, the fans just ignore it.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gives one to Astrid for making Rorona do all of the work on the assignments the king had intended for her.
- When He Smiles: Totori even comments that he has a nice smile after she meets him a second time.
Lionela Heinze (Liona)
Voiced by: Kei Shindou (JP), Laura Bailey (EN)A traveling dancer who arrives in Arland with her two cat-like living puppets. She's extremely shy, but still manages to strike up a friendship with Rorona.
- Beware the Nice Ones: According to her puppets, she used to impulsively attack any stranger who tried to talk to her.
- Boobs of Steel: Inverted-she's physically one of the weakest fighters in the game and her best battle skills are devoted to healing.
- Burn the Witch!: The reason she can't stay in one place for very long as this tends to be the reaction once people realize she uses magic. Her own parents were a part of the first mob.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hair Decorations
- Hair of Gold
- The Medic
- Put on a Bus: she never appears again in the sequels aside from a quick mention in Atelier Totori and background cameo in Atelier Meruru's opening.
- Shrinking Violet: Despite being a street performer.
- Split Personality: Her puppets are actually two parts of her personality that she subconsciously gave to her dolls. "They" are aware of it, she is not.
Tantris Tristan Alcock (Tant)
Voiced by: Takayuki Kondou (JP)A traveling musician that loves to flirt with Rorona.
- The Mole: A very half-hearted one who quickly starts to help Rorona for real.
- Power Fist: His weapons of choice include a variety of punching weapons, including brass knuckles.
- Put on a Bus: he never appears again in the sequels aside from a quick mention in Atelier Totori.
- Sdrawkcab Alias: Doesn't even try too hard to hide his real name: Tristan.
- Ship Tease: Heavily implied to have feelings for Rorona. Too bad she's Oblivious to Love.
- The Tease
- The Power of Rock: Can be used to buff the party.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Son
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: To Meredith. Astrid calls him out on this several times.
Voiced by: Akio Ohtsuka (JP)A self-proclaimed retiree, who secretly hones his sword skills outside of town. Courteous and honorable to a fault, he tries his hardest to do the right thing.
- Badass: Oh hell yes. He is very much in the running for "biggest badass" in the entire franchise.
- Cool Old Guy
- King Incognito
- Paper-Thin Disguise: "Masked G"
- Sword Cane: His weapon of choice.
Astrid Zexis (Master)
Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)Rorona's alchemy master. She is quite capable of doing almost anything, but doesn't because she finds most work boring.
- Brilliant but Lazy
- But Now I Must Go: She comes back in her ending, though, complete with declaring herself as Rorona's rival!
- Christmas Cake
- Drowning My Sorrows: Near the end of the game, she starts to drink a lot.
- Heavy Sleeper: Well, since she spends most of her time napping...
- Mooching Master: Oh, is she ever. She will not lift a finger if she can get Rorona to do something instead. And if she can bust her chops while she does it, all the better. She's basically an internet troll turned into a game character.
- Mundane Utility: She can bend the laws of physics via alchemy to make... a bathing suit for a ghost. Lampshaded by Rorona, of course.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: congrats Astrid for turning Rorona into a little girl in Atelier Meruru!
- Promoted to Playable: In New Atelier Rorona.
- Revenge Before Reason: She effectively shunned the townsfolk and ruined the reputation of the workshop due to how poorly the people of Arland treated her master.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor
- Trickster Mentor
Esty Dee (JP: Esty Erhard)
Voiced by: Rina Sato (JP)The secretary at Arland Castle. She's easy-going, and loves to pick on Sterk. She supplies Rorona with requests from the townsfolk.
- Ascended Extra: In addition to being Promoted to Playable, she also gets a bunch of new events in the remake, including her own ending!
- Christmas Cake: hoo boy. She's 45 by the end of Atelier Meruru and still doesn't have a husband!
- Cool Big Sis: To Rorona and Sterk. Towards her real sister, not so much.
- Cool Old Lady: Officially qualifies as this in the third game at the age of 40. Just don't say it to her face.
- Dual Wielding - In Meruru
- Hair Decorations - Her hair clip
- Odd Friendship: With Astrid
- Promoted to Playable: In New Atelier Rorona
- Quest Giver
- Shipper on Deck: For Sterk/Rorona.
- The Tease: She loves pushing Rorona's buttons.
- Took a Level in Badass - From quest giver in Rorona to this. in Meruru.
- Unfortunate Names: Esty Dee. Just say it out loud. With a name like that, no wonder she can't find a man.
Voiced by: Nana Inoue (JP, Male Hom), Ui Miyazaki (JP, Female Hom)A homunculous Astrid makes to assist Rorona. Hom's gender can be selected by the player.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- The Ageless: Aside from the wardrobe change, they appear to have not changed at all in Atelier Meruru.
- Artificial Human
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Emotionless Girl: Or boy for that matter. Or is (s)he ?
- Extreme Doormat"Rorona's and Astrid's orders (requests) are absolute to Hom and it would do anything for them without complaining. Leave it alone without orders and it might throw a tantrum."
- Girlish Pigtails: Female Hom
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Nice Hat: Male Hom wears a nice small top hat.
- Servile Snarker
- When She Smiles: Admit it, it's the cutest thing ever.
- The One Guy: Male Hom, who's the only male presence in the workshop as well as the beach event. Taken Up To Eleven in Atelier Meruru, where he's the only male residing in a workshop alongside four other girls.
- Token Mini-Moe
Tiffani Hildebrand (Ms. Tiffani)
Voiced by: Rika Oogaki (JP)Tiffani is the proprietor of the sundries store behind Rorona's workshop.
- Drunk Personality Change
- Dude Magnet: Her presence attracts several middle-aged men to her shop.
- Hello, Nurse!: Several men, Rorona's father Ryan included, only go into her shop to gaze at her. Their wives aren't too happy about that.
- Proper Lady
- Widow Woman
Hagel Baldness (Pops)
Voiced by: Fumihiko Tachiki (JP)An energetic blacksmith who works next door to Rorona's workshop at the Beefy Weapon Shop. He primarily makes weapons and tools for men, so he teaches Rorona how to craft her own after she completes her first assignment.
- Bald of Awesome
- The Blacksmith
- Cool Old Guy
- Do Not Call Me Paul: He doesn't like being called by his last name due to it's similarity the word "bald".
- Large Ham: And the people in town love him for it.
Pamela Ibis (Pamela)
Voiced by: Asuka Tanii (JP), Brianne Siddall (EN)A ghost that emerges from a possessed teddy bear. She later opens a magical items store.
Cole Durer (Cole)A very young traveling merchant who visits Rorona's shop once per month.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Meaningful Name: Cole happens to be Arland's main currency, and Cole works a merchant...
- Mr. Vice Guy
- Mysterious Past: Not much is known about him, how he manages to get rare items in monster-infested areas, or why he's working as a merchant at such a young age.
- Nice Hat
- Put on a Bus: And unlike Lionela and Tantris, he doesn't even get mentioned once in the sequels!
- Sleeves Are for Wimps
- Wise Beyond Their Years: He's only eight, but runs his own business and collects goods in dangerous areas.
Aranya and Horoholo (Ranya and Holo)
Voiced by: Carrie Savage (EN, Aranya)Lionela's puppets. Aranya is polite and strong, while Horoholo is snotty and has a bit of a mean streak.
Voiced by: Koji Ishii (JP)Minister of the kingdom of Arland, and the one who came up with the idea of destroying Rorona's workshop. Tantris is his son.
- Gender-Blender Name
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: His attempts to sabotage Rorona are all just practical jokes for the most part.