Anime: Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
A legend is born...
, known in Japan as Dialga Vs Palkia Vs Darkrai
, is the tenth film in the Pokémon franchise,
and the beginning of a trilogy of Diamond and Pearl
Set in Alamos Town, two deity Pokemon, Dialga and Palkia, are fighting. Ash and his friends take the time to visit the city, but little do they know that another legendary Pokemon, Darkrai, lives there. Assumed to be a threat, Darkrai defends himself from all the trainers (especially Ash and his friends
) as they try to stop the fighting between Dialga and Palkia.
This film borrows elements from the first nine films, from solving a puzzle
to using a song to calm the raging Pokemon and save the world.
Some criticized the movie for being lazy for that, as well as the ending. Needless to say, overall, the movie was seen as okay, nothing too horrible, but nothing too good either.
This movie provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Tonio.
- Air Jousting: Apparently, when Palkia's pearl is damaged, high-force collisions cause damage to space in general. Guess what makes up half of Dialga and Palkia's combat.
- All There in the Script: The three coordinators who each have one of Sinnoh's fully evolved starter pokemon. Although they weren't referred to by name in the dub, Pokémon.com has since released their names as Kai, Allegra, and Maury.
- Androcles' Lion: Why Darkrai was loyal to Alicia and Alice, because of the former's kindness towards him.
- Attack Hello: Before Palkia even knows he is there, Dialga fires with Draco Meteor, flies in, and tackles Palkia straight to the ground the second time they meet.
- Avoid the Dreaded G Rating: This movie is the very first Pokemon movie to ever be rated PG in the United States even though some of the earlier Pokemon movies had their own share of disturbing factors yet were still rated-G.
- Back from the Dead/Death Is Cheap/Disney Death: Darkrai.
- Badass: Darkrai. He's powerful enough to battle a pair of Olympus Mons to a standstill. The two Pokemon who are credited with creating time and space respectively.
- Bad Vibrations: The power waves released from the Space-Time Duo's power in the Unown dimension causes violent vibrations in the real world.
- Betty and Veronica: Alberto is the Veronica to Tonio's Betty.
- Big Bad: Palkia.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Baron Alberto, Palkia, Dialga, and Darkrai at first.
- Bigger Bad: Arceus, but you don't know that until the 12th movie.
- Blackbead Eyes: Tonio has these. Especially noticeable since he's the only main human character in the whole movie who has them.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Alice (blonde), Dawn (brunette), and Allegra (redhead).
- Breath Weapon: Dialga's Roar of Time and both his and Palkia's Hyper Beam.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Happens to Darkrai when he tries to fight the Space-Time Duo.
- Bullying a Dragon: In the Japanese version, Ash (Satoshi) yells at Palkia at the end of the movie for everything that had happened, going so far as to call Palkia an idiot.
- Calling Your Attacks: "DAAAARK VOID!"
- Baron Alberto does this during his first battle as a Pokemon.
- Chekhov's Gun: the song Oración.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Tonio and Alice.
- Chromatic Arrangement: The three coordinators who battle Ash and Dawn have this. Allegra is red, Kai is blue, and Maury is green.
- Clock Punk: The technology used by the residents of Alamos Town in the movie seems to be a combination of this and Steam Punk.
- Clock Tower: Subverted as the Time and Space Tower. It still tells time, however.
- Continuity Nod: The area where Dialga and Palkia start fighting could be the place where Professor Hale got sucked into in the third movie, due to the clouds of Unown swirling around.
- See One-Scene Wonder in the Trivia page for three human examples.
- Dawn's Lunar Wing charm shows up in a later episode featuring another Darkrai.
- Conspicuous CG: Every aerial shot of the towers.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Darkrai is, for the most part, on the receiving end of this trope, which shouldn't be surprising since he is up against literal gods.
- Damsel in Distress: Alice has to be saved by Tonio and Darkrai a couple times.
- Darkrai Is Not Evil
- Determinator: Darkrai.
- Doomed Hometown: Alice and Tonio's hometown, Alamos Town.
- Dramatic Shattering: The hourglass near the beginning.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Ash's nightmare reveals the presence of Palkia in Alamos Town. In the past, Godey dreamed of the future, catastrophic battle between Palkia and Dialga and built the Space-Time Towers before said event.
- Emerging from the Shadows: How Darkrai is introduced.
DO NOT COME NEAR!
- Energy Ball: Palkia's Aura Sphere.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Alice, a natural blonde, attracts the likes of Tonio, Baron Alberto, Brock, and Darkrai (maybe).
- Eye Awaken: Palkia does this once Darkrai awakens it by using Dark Pulse.
- FacePlant: Tonio does this onto a tree after getting shot by Lickilicky's Hyper Beam.
- Fat Bastard: Baron after his transformation into Lickilicky.
- Fiery Red Head: Allegra.
- Five-Man Band:
- Flashback Effects: The scenes of Alicia and Godey are shown in the sepia tones of a vintage photograph.
- Fore Shadowing: Ash's Nightmare Sequence.
- All the unusual events that happen throughout the town.
- From Bad to Worse
- Gilligan Cut: After finding out Palkia was behind the strange occurrences happening around town, we have this:
Dawn: But that means Palkia is here!
Brock: But where is that?
(cuts to Darkrai)
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The Time-Space Duo's red eyes turn orange and glow when using their powers. Especially noticeable during their first battle in the beginning. Darkrai also does this at the very end.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Alice and Alicia.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Darkrai. He gets better.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: After deciding that Darkrai is the cause of the anomalies, Baron Alberto leads the town in trying to bring him down.
- Hope Spot: As Dialga uses Roar of Time and Palkia uses Spacial Rend, Darkrai gets in the middle of them and surrounds itself with a shadow orb to take the hits. The orb surrounds all three of the legendary Pokémon and traps them inside for the time being. Just when you thought Darkrai would be able to hold them off, both dragons break free and fire at the defenseless Pitch-Black Pokémon, killing him.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards: Baron Alberto.
- Identical Granddaughter: Alice to Alicia.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Alice.
- Involuntary Transformation: Baron Alberto is transformed into a Lickilicky. Actually an illusion caused by Darkrai's nightmares brought to life by Palkia's actions.
- Jerkass: Baron Alberto. Hits on the uninterested female lead within the first twenty minutes of the movie, and can't seem to take a hint.
- Kick the Dog: Baron Alberto arranging an angry mob against Darkrai.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: When Palkia and Dialga casually "kill" Darkrai near the end after Darkrai used up all his energy to halt the duo's battle for some time.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Darkrai does this to Baron!Lickilicky by hurling him into a tree after Baron tried to hunt him down.
- Large Ham: Baron Alberto.
- Laughably Evil: Baron Alberto may be a Jerkass Smug Snake, but he's still pretty hilarious.
- Left Hanging: It was never explained why Dialga and Palkia are fighting in the first place, until the 12th movie reveals that it was because Arceus was awakening that the domains of time and space are overlapping.
- Light Is Not Good: Both Dialga and Palkia are actually given villainous roles in the film.
- Little "No": Alice after seeing Darkrai die.
- Love Triangle: Tonio/Alice/Baron. Of course, being the Jerkass he is, Baron loses to Tonio.
- Magic Music
- Manly Man And Sensitive Guy: Baron and Tonio, respectively.
- Meaningful Echo: "This is everyone's garden."
- Męlée ŕ Trois: it's in the Japanese title, after all. (Dialga vs Palkia vs Darkrai)
- Missing Trailer Scene: As usual for these movies. In this case, there was a scene of Ash riding his Pidgeot.
- Mood Whiplash: Each time the scene changes from the protagonists' perspective to the perspective of the Space-Time Duo's battle. Especially during the beginning.
- Named After Somebody Famous/Shout-Out Theme Naming: Tonio and his grandfather, Godey, are named after the Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi.
- Never Trust a Title: The English title would have you believe that Darkrai is the villain of the movie. Turns out it just wanted to stop Dialga and Palkia destroying Alamos Town, despite the fact that everyone thought it was evil. Obviously the Japanese title subverts this.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Besides Palkia's shoulder injury, the Time-Space Duo don't seem to receive a single scratch from their heavy attacks against each another, and neither of them seem the least bit fatigued during their ongoing battle. Heck, even Palkia's wounded shoulder, which is implied to be one of its lungs, doesn't seem to hinder its battle against Dialga. Maybe Justified for Dialga since he does seem to be Made Of Diamond.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Jessie really admires Darkrai and his powers.
Jessie: (after seeing Darkrai using Dark Void) That move was simply... LOVELY!
- Nightmare Fuel: Invoked. Darkrai is the incarnation and bringer of nightmares.
- Nightmare Sequence: Ash had one of these after being hit by Darkrai's Dark Void.
- No Endor Holocaust: Nearly all of Alamos Town had been either destroyed or disintegrated by the Time-Space Duo, yet there is no mention of death and those who had been shown to have died end up coming back.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Palkia and Dialga. Both thought the other was threatening its home and instinctively attacked. Alamos Town was dragged into the picture when Palkia escaped and hid there in order to hide itself from Dialga. Once found, they continued to fight, oblivious to the destruction around them.
- Official Couple: Tonio and Alice.
- Olympus Mons: Palkia and Dialga.
- Papa Wolf: Although they're unrelated, Darkrai is this way towards Alice. Protecting her at every cost.
- Place Beyond Time: Where Palkia and Dialga are initially fighting, before breaking through into normal space-time.
- Pokemon of Mass Destruction: Palkia and Dialga. Their battle damages spacetime itself.
- Poor Communication Kills: Darkrai. He was only trying to warn the humans of the presence of Palkia, but everyone ends up thinking that he's the bad guy.
- Power Glows: Palkia glows pink, while Dialga glows blue. The Space-Time Towers glow gold when they play Oración.
- Power Gem: Palkia's pearls and Dialga's diamond glow when they're about to use their signature moves.
- Punny Name:
- Purple Is Powerful: Palkia.
- Reality Warper: Both Palkia and Dialga count, being the masters of space and time, respectably. However, Palkia was the one who warped all of Alamos Town into another dimension.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Baron Alberto.
- Running Gag: Baron Alberto shouting into the air as the camera pans up to the sky or some other scenery.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Tonio's glasses were like this at one point while reading his grandfather's diary.
- Scenery Porn
- Scenery Gorn: Once everything starts to disintegrate from Palkia's power and property is destroyed from it and Dialga's ongoing battle.
- Sequel Hook: During the credits, it shows Dialga going towards its next destination awaiting a battle with what will be Giratina, which will start the next adventure Ash, Dawn and Brock will face.
- Ship Tease: Darkrai and Alice. They call it Aegisshipping.
- Shout-Out: The Space-Time Tower is based on the Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi's Sagrada Familia,◊ and the design of Alamos Town was based on Barcelona, Spain.◊
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Why Alice chooses Nice Guy Tonio over Jerkass Baron Alberto.
- Skyward Scream: Baron Alberto does this constantly.
- Smug Snake: Baron Alberto.
- Space Master: Palkia, the Spacial Pokemon.
- Spoiled Sweet: Alice. Just because she is gorgeous, rich, and owns a large garden, that doesn't stop her from being one of the nicest and most loyal of characters. Her grandmother counts, too, since she allowed Darkrai to stay and enjoy her garden.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Dialga is this towards Palkia. When the latter left their first battle due to an injury, Dialga was outraged and searched across dimensions to find and finish off his rival.
- Taking the Bullet: Darkrai in the climactic battle. He spends roughly half the fight doing this.
- Time Master: Dialga, the Temporal Pokemon.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Allegra is the tomboy to Dawn and Alice's girly girl.
- Too Dumb to Live: Really, Alice? You really think that the deities of time and space are going to stop their ongoing battle because you told them to?
Alice: (yelling up at a raging Palkia and Dialga in the sky) "Stop fighting right now!"
(Dialga then bites down onto Palkia's neck and drags it down towards Alice on the ground as they fall from overhead. Alice just stands there in awe)
- Then again, there wasn't much else she could do, and they were all trapped. Plus, it's not unusual to freeze up in dangerous situations.
- Tsundere: Alice is a Type B all the way.
- Uncatty Resemblance: The three coordinators and Baron Alberto share the same color palettes as their pokemon. Taken Up to Eleven when Baron Alberto actually transforms into his only pokemon.
- Unstoppable Rage: Neither of the dragons seem like it's going to calm down anytime soon. Especially Dialga after Palkia flees from their battle.
- Versus Title: The Japanese title for the movie, Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai.
- Villain Opening Scene: The story begins with Palkia and Dialga fighting, and then ends with Palkia flying towards the main setting of the story, Alamos Town.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Baron Alberto.
- Watching the Sunset: The ending. Everyone watches the sunset once Alamos Town is back in shape, the Dragon Duo ended their fighting, and Darkrai is alive again. Also, Tonio and Alice are finally together.
- The Worf Barrage: Darkrai, who has been shown to beat a whole crowd of Pokemon with just one of his attacks, can barely mark a scratch on neither Palkia nor Dialga.
- The Worf Effect/Make Way For The New Villains: Palkia and Dialga do this to the Unown to establish how powerful they are. Back in the third Pokemon movie, the Unown were seen as powerful, reality warping abominations who can make the wishes of a little girl come to life. Here they are running for their lives away from the two dragons fighting in their dimension.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Allegra has Rank A red stockings.