- Acceptable Targets: Sonic Colors and the modern writers, Ken Pontac and Warren Graff. Roger has issues with them.
- Applicability: How Roger & Luke just wanted you to see and better understand the Sonic Games and how to interpret them in a different way. The relationships between the characters, how the level design relate to the character used. One of Roger's videos shows you that Sonic Boom might be more cleverly written than it actually is, and that Knuckles serves as the class clown rather than the dumb muscle.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: At one point, Roger drools over children. This scene is never mentioned again.
- Broken Base: Discussed. Frobman says that Sonic Adventure 2 was the game that broke the fandom, being released on a Nintendo console, being too serious to those who love the lighthearted Sonic games, and the new fans who thought Sonic was always that serious, dark and edgy. Also the infamous Sonic fan characters started around here when Shadow was introduced, although that might have started earlier with Sonic Underground with Manic & Sonia.
- Fair for Its Day: Discussed. Frobman is not a big fan of the gameplay of Sonic Adventure 2, he feels it is glitchy and not that fun. Roger says that it was 2001. Many 3D games suck back then.
- Franchise Original Sin: Discussed on how misblamed the whole thing is with Sonic Adventure 2 with the new characters having too much attention in the newer games.Roger: So when people start bitching about Sonic games in retrospect, and complain about new characters having too much attention, they might point out to Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog for starting it all. But have you ever noticed how subtle his introduction is? I mean sure, he has some dramatic intros, but look at the story, it's really Sonic versus Eggman, and Eggman is the one calling the shots. Eggman is the one holding the speeches, Eggman is the one confronting Sonic, Eggman's still the leader after Gerald and Shadow hijack the plot. Shadow is his lackey for the two thirds of the game. When Sonic is seemingly killed, Amy and Tails get more reaction time than Shadow. The first part of the game is Sonic and friends versus Eggman, with Rouge and Shadow being his henchmen.
- Fridge Horror: They noticed something about Sonic CD's plot, and it's that either Amy followed Sonic like an idiot to Little Planet, or she is from there and at the end of the game, she is an orphan living on a mysterious planet.Roger: Thats dark!
- Fridge Logic: In-Universe, but one thing that always bothered Luke about Sonic Adventure 2 is the fake hedgehog line. What so fake about Shadow? They also discuss what the hell does Ultimate hedgehog means, and how Amy fits in all of that.
- Luke also notices Mephiles calling Shadow The Ultimate Life Form, despite knowing him for only ten seconds.
- Pet-Peeve Trope: Breaking the Fourth Wall, for Roger, since he feels it cheapens both the humor and the story with the characters being aware they are fictional.
- Values Dissonance: Discussed. They noticed that a lot of the problems in the series come through the Japanese way of telling stories. They suggested that maybe this is the reason why Elise, Shara, Merlina and Sarah were created in the first place. It's because the Japanese are not known for writing about furry animals outside of toddler cartoons. Compared with the West where there are entire genres and a subculture, and could feel awkward if the love interest was a talking animal. In this case, if a Japanese show is about funny animals, they will create an Audience Surrogate like Chris Thorndyke or Nobita Noby, explaining why Sonic was so Out of Focus in his own show. When Krystal was mentioned, Roger had to say the fact that she was not created by the Japanese, but by a British company.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: During the Colorful Art Design episode, Roger discusses that making most of the cutscenes with just the characters talking, while not doing much with the environments, makes the thing boring to look and it could be used to add depth to the characters, like Sonic playing around with the go-karts while ignoring Tails as an example.
- In the same episode, he notices how the writers were trying to add depth to the characters but he was disappointed that we couldnt see that in action, like Tails not liking sushi.
YMMV / Sonic Dissected