- Awesome Music:
- The opening for the original is rather soothing.
- Both the intros for the 2003 and 2004 reboot are also quite catchy.
- Broken Base: Which show is the better one? The original one or the reboot? Some like the original for being more simple, down-to-earth and having likeable characters. Others prefer the reboot for being more light-hearted and comical.
- Designated Hero: Bernard in the 2003 series. He misuses his watch for personal gain and usually shows little consideration for how Nathan feel. The biggest example is in the episode 'Wheels' where he cheats in a bike race including sabotaging his opponents (risking some in serious danger) just for a new bike and even though he does end up sharing his bike with Nathan, he still acts as if he owns it.
- Designated Villain: Ms Savage is overly-strict and does show signs of favouritism towards Nicolette but otherwise is just a teacher doing her job.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Bernard in the 2003 series. He may be selfish and a bit of insufferable little brat but is constantly tormented by his teacher and Nicolette, has to deal with embarrassing parents and gets into trouble for things he didn't do.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Mr Rattle was played by Leslie Grantham, which is probably one of the reasons he's popular.
- Narm: Mrs Beasley's reaction to Mr Rattle violently grabbing Bernard by the shirt is priceless, though probably because of the questionable acting.
- Nightmare Fuel: The episode 'Ending Time' is built around this, especially with the main antagonist of the episode, Mr Rattle. What happens when a grown man who is clearly a dangerous criminal and has no qualms on hurting a child has his hands on your magical, time-stopping watch? This isn't helped by how he threatens to kill Bernard (which includes using the watch to put Bernard through life-threatening things) and can stalk him whenever he wanted to. Remember that this is a fairly light-hearted kids show and he is a very dark character.
- The Scrappy: Of all the secondary protagonists, Lucy is the one who viewers find the most annoying.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Some fans of the original series dislike the 2003 reboot's changes to the show such as changing the tone and making Bernard more unlikable.
- Values Dissonance: The postman, who simply gives Bernard the watch out of pure coincidence (Bernard happened to be be sitting in the end of a rainbow). Nevermind he's receiving a package from a total stranger but their more than close relationship may not age well with the audience.
- The Woobie:
- Bernard. Before he receives his watch, he is constantly late and is generally clumsy. Everything can go so wrong with the poor guy. Even after he receives the watch, he still has to deal with problems such as dealing with real danger on a daily basis or tolerating his annoying younger cousin, Lucy.
- Nathan in the 2003 series. He's the Only Sane Man who is more down-to-earth than his friend and is constantly treated like crap by him.
YMMV / Bernard's Watch