In a library the size of an immense city where all the races of the continent of Mahadvipa come to study magic, tragedy strikes. The son of a prominent Elven general has been murdered, and a war threatens to erupt because of it. But caught in a mile of political red tape, Chief Librarian Anfisa apo Draconem cannot openly investigate...Shadows in the Library is a Fantasy Webcomic by Branimir Stoilov and Vanessa Matte. It can be found on Webtoons
There is also a Patreon where the authors are updating five pages ahead of Webtoons and one can access Editorials about the world of the comic, along with Concept Art.
Shadows in the Library provides examples of:
- Academy of Adventure /City of Adventure: The Library itself is a school the size of a giant city-state
- Alchemy: Anfisa mentions that her friend is an Alchemist, meaning that Alchemy exists in this world
- All Work vs. All Play: The apparent dynamic between Anfisa and her sister Sophie; Anfisa has been shown to work well into the night and barely eat, while Sophie couldnt be bothered getting a Mark of Mastery, because it was, in her own words, too much work
- Always Murder: The case that puts the story into motion is a murder.
- Ancient Grome: The architecture and dress of the human characters evoke this feeling, along with the fact that the city has Civil Legions.
- The Archmage: What Anfisa is apparently, given her position as the head of a magical academy/city
- Bi the Way: A bonus content posted on Webtoons along with the Chapter 2 cover reveals that Sophie is bisexual
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Sophie in a nutshell; she groans at the sight of paperwork and is too lazy to get a higher degree of education, but can see through her sisters Illusions like nothing and devised a brilliant way to get back at her boss without being caught. The bonus content posted on Webtoons also points out that Sophie is twice as powerful as her sister in terms of raw power.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sophie appears perfectly comfortable making fun of her sisters lack of friends despite the situation.
- Rejep, Anfisas servant also appears to be one. Crosses into Servile Snarker territory
- Elemental Magic: Seems to be present in this world;
- Playing with Fire: Anfisa creates a flame in the palm of her hand for the purpose of lighting a candle
- Glamour: Anfisa tries to fool her sister with one. It doesnt work!
- Language of Magic: The few spells shown thus far are always following a small incantation that seems o be written in such a language.
- Master of Illusion: Sophie appears to be one, despite the fact that she doesnt have the rank; She can see through illusions she sees often without meaning to, can create lifelike butterflies, cast invisibility spells from across a room and according to her sister it is her speciality.
- Our Elves Are Better: From the teaser of the first editorial for the series it is revealed that the elves in the series have evolved from some sort of extinct creatures made entirely out of ice named Denlerood. They still have the stock elven traits; pointy ears, lithe frames and are very tall, but in addition possess skeletons that are coated with a fine layer of crystal.
- Pretty Butterflies; As her first on screen feat of Magic Sophie summons a butterfly
- Servile Snarker; While respectful, Anfisas servant, Rejep, needles his boss about her work habits.
- Snake People: It appears Naga are present in this world. Interestingly they have an Egyptian motif, but the name used for the first representative of the species is Slavic in origin.
- Summon Magic; Sophie summons a butterfly onscreen and Anfisa makes an off-hand comment that Sophies boss is a Master of Conjuration.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Sophie is said to be more powerful than her sister at least twice over. Her sister is considered one of the most powerful mages in the world for a point of reference.