Recipe for 1 Linette Cyan:
1) Your dad is a notorious Mafia boss' right hand man.
2) Your family has a million dollar debt.
3) You become compensation through engagement to said Mafia boss' son.
4) You have (and are) a key to an ancient treasure vault being hunted down by opposing Mafia families.
5) Become a witness to murder, illegal drug operations, and treason. Repeat.
6) Engage repeatedly in gunfights and be kidnapped and held hostage on numerous occasions.
7) Learn that your best friend from high school is also a mobster.
8) Be able to fit inside a box containing illegal drugs.
9) Have a crazy madman want you dead.
10) Be able to run for your life in heels, and have a tazer with you 24/7. Seriously.
Linette Cyan did not expect to give up her ordinary nineteen year-old life as wedding dowry in an arranged marriage. Engaged to a charismatic and compelling man who seeks rebellion against his powerful father, Linette finds herself plummeting into the same bloodbath of mystery as her vengeful fiancé. She soon discovers that she, too, is a key piece in a dangerous game of greed between rival families. Passion, tragedy, deceit, and murder become common occurrences in the perilous life of the unlikely couple. But how much are they willing to sacrifice for justice to prevail? Will they conquer their inner demons and find closure to a century-long mystery?
This work provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Alyssa and Linette.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Silvio.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Linette over the course of the novel.
- Arranged Marriage: Between Linette and Leon, to pay off a debt.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: It seems to be becoming this.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Levi and Arc both seem lighthearted and crazy but only to conceal much darker intentions. Van also initially comes off as goofy and aloof but later becomes the story's largest threat after burning the Sangria Mansion to the ground, sets assassins after Linette and Leon, and kills Caleb..
- Big Bad: Van and Damon (later revealed to be Frey), much to everyone's surprise.
- Big Damn Heroes: Happens a lot in the novel. Most notable moment is when Alyssa and Marcel show up to stop Linette's marriage to Seth.
- Bookcase Passage: The caverns that the Noir siblings hid in is full of these secret passages. Rei gets stuck in a room because of one.
- Break Out the Museum Piece: Most notably when Leon and Linette are fighting Seth with the club's furniture.
- Cacophony Cover Up: Painstakingly when Leon is about to confess to Linette at the harbour.
- Carnival of Killers: Tarra and Levi are hired by Van to get Leon and Linette out of the picture.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Frey as Levi for the entire story.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Noel. Leon.
- Faking the Dead: Damon. Or more accurately, Frey.
- Innocent Prodigy: Dante. Though Silvio thinks he is.
- Long-Lost Relative: There is a lot of this. Leon and Arc are brothers. Leon and Ares are half-brothers. Rei to Linette as her uncle. The Noir siblings as relatives to Linette.
- Masterof Disguise: Frey. During the course of the novel he impersonates multiple people: "Damon", Levi, and Arc.
- Revenge Before Reason: Tarra, when he thinks Leon and Linette are responsible for Levi's death.
- The Anticipator: Frey. Linette fails numerous times to try and hide from him.
- The Bait: Linette, in a number of occasions. Often accompanied by Leon.
- Watching Troy Burn: Leon and Linette when the Sangria Estate burns down. and The caverns where the Noir siblings live are flooded.