Cat and Meringue is a series of (usually) 4-panel comics about a Cat and (you guessed it) a Meringue in a Catamaran, a twin-hulled boat. It was written by Nich Angell. This comic resides on three things: Wordplay, No Fourth Wall, and Toon Physics. The first comic was written on the 1st November, 2010 and the 1000th strip, the last one, was written on the 17th June, 2013. The series has been said to continue again by the author, only time will tell...
This provides examples of...
- Aborted Arc: See What Could Have Been below.
- A God Am I: The Baker /The Artist up until number 964, where Cat takes over.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Meringue's surname, Destiné. Anyone who's name ends in Destiné is pretty much guaranteed to do great things.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The Desserts Du Destiné.
- Also, their boat turned tree called Maran!
- The Lonely Tower.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Derek.
- BFS: Derek gets one in 962 to fight Cat.
- Big Damn Hero: When Cat teleports in to fight Derek in 962.
- Chekhov's Gunman: If they hadn't accidentally ran over Derek with their Catamaran, he wouldn't have ended up concussed, leaving him to work at a yak farm. When the concussion finally wore off and he found out his wife had left him, he vowed revenge on Cat and Meringue.
- Ditzy Genius: Meringue.
- Deadpan Snarker: Meringue at times.
- DVD Commentary: In 1000 Days Of Adventure, each and every strip has a piece of commentary at the bottom of the page.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Vorsket from Sector 8.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Cat's middle name is Lorimangolius.
- Failed a Spot Check: Meringue, in one strip, fails to notice some sentient foods (e.g. cupcakes) dancing right behind him whilst he is talking about being the only sentient food in the world.
- Fun with Acronyms: Cat L. Prodd sounds like Cattle Prod.
- The A.R.S.E.
- Genius Ditz: Cat.
- Hostile Show Takeover: /Felinis and Meringew pull one on the Dynamic Duo.
- No Fourth Wall:Bone: Have you ever considered how much damage this does to the fourth wall?
Meringue: It's more like a tattered curtain now. A lost cause, like the ozone layer...Cat: Hey readers! How are you doing? Since there's basically nothing left of the 4th wall now, we thought we'd address you direct!
- Heck, the comic even goes into Fourth Wall Lockdown at one point.
- Psychic Powers: Cat is revealed to have them.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Cat is the Red to Meringue's Blue.
- Running Gag: The Boo-merangs.
- Also Cat's constant fishing and teleporting attempts.
- The Dog Was The Master Mind: Derek.
- Toon Physics: Pretty much the entire comic, really.
- Welcome to the Real World: when they turn the Artist into a cartoon in 364.
- Also when Cat enters the Artist's mind in 492.
- And when Cat goes to regain his comic skills in 920.
- What Could Have Been: The story arc when they go to the Sky Fortress, discovering a tablet which states their doom, is never followed up on.
Cat: Okay, my origin story. Basi-Meringue: Waitwaitwait! What about the wedding we were invited to ages ago?(Cue police tape covering the 3rd panel, saying 'Storyline Cancelled')Meringue: So...your origin story?Cat: Yes!
- Also the 'Mystery Wedding,' although that was explained.