- Democrats: If 'negative results' meant 'no black ancestry', then this would be used to further discredit the Republicans.
- Republicans: If 'negative results' meant 'not pure white', then THEY would be the ones to do the discrediting, specifically of Fauntroy for passing, and of the Democrats for hypocrisy in letting someone pass right under their noses.
- JBU: If 'negative results' meant 'not pure white', well, they'd use the opportunity to question 'well, if Fauntroy, scion of the most influential political family in the CSA, was unknowingly passing this whole time, who ELSE could be passing and not know it' and cause chaos.
Either of the latter two would eventually lead to the abolition of slavery, the Democrat scenario would cement their power for years. However, what they didn't count on were the voters believing 'guilty until proven innocent' and causing Fauntroy to lose the election, and subsequently commit suicide. Whoever did the swap felt remorse and left a 'tip' to the Proven White group that some test results might be false.
- This explains why the documentary is so poorly produced. It merely mentions a few key events then devotes a whole section solely to Fauntroy without mentioning his opponent whatsoever. It could also be a JBU plot to discredit the CSA altogether (like the first WMG suggests) and Fauntroy was merely the pawn they choose.
- The movie IRL is an odd tribute to Walter E. Fauntroy, a Black activist.
- There will be Perestroika and fair trade between the Soviet Union, China, Canada and Britain, just like in Real Life Between China and the States in 1980s.
- If not for America's industrial machine entering the war to provide the Allies with reinforcement, and Hitler's decision to back-stab his former ally Stalin in Real Life World War II, Germany and Italy's Axis could well have seized all of Europe and much of the rest of the Mediterranean as well. Considering that Europe's other nations are indicated to have been victorious over Germany despite the C.S.A. staying out of the war, it stands to reason that something weakened Germany. That something? Likely that Hitler still back-stabbed Stalin in this alternate continuity.
Hitler still would have wanted Russia's oilfields, still would have had to purge Ernst Roehm (with his decidedly Marxist brand of Nazism) and the S.A. to maintain his grip on power, and still would have had all the ideological motivations for betraying Stalin he did in our world. Therefore, he likely pulled the very same betrayal; only, without America to help, it cost the Soviet Union even more blood and famine to get the upper hand over the Nazis, and the rest of Europe was more than happy to stand back and let the two despotic nations destroy each other. In the aftermath, with both enemies in ruins, the victorious Allies occupying Germany also seized control of nearly all of Russia's Western land, while the still-free-market-loving Chinese and Mongols (newly liberated thanks to the C.S.A. nuking Japan) conquered Siberia and any other scraps of Russian land the Europeans deemed to be of no value.
That's why we don't hear much about the Commies at all, except for a certain miserable time the C.S.A. had over in Vietnam...
- A racist leadership who builds a wall covering the entire US border of the people they hate. The scary part is apparently Americas President saw it and said good idea.
- This is mostly opinion. YMMV- the border wall is meant to keep out people we "don"t like" because racism, or the border wall is meant to control immigration and protect national sovereignty over our border?
- It's partly about pride and partly about politics. Fauntroy (ultimately wrongly, as we find out) decided it would be better to stand on principle and not submit to a test, because submitting to the test inherently acknowledges there was a reason to take the test and thus something to prove.
- He certainly didn't study human character then, cause, again, refusing to take it just means he has something to hide in the average person's eyes.
- Here's another thing: if he was confident he was purely white, he wouldn't have killed himself. A) He would have taken his revenge on Horace for ruining his campaign, and b) he would have run again, with using the 'pure white' heritage as a talking point to discredit the Republican party. However, I speculate they did find out he was passing, and let him know ahead of time so he could take the 'honorable' way out and offed himself.
- The 'tell' may actually be in the clip played after the documentary said the test results: Fauntroy asks the host to imagine America where everyone has the same deep pride in their Ayran birth, and then says "I want to reclaim that heritage". Ironic Echo, anyone?
The women that married into the family won't fare much better either, thanks to the sexist culture they'd be seen as tainted at best. Best they could hold out for is ostracism, worst is imprisonment or perhaps slavery as well.
The men that married into the family? Honestly they'd come out on top in this matter, nothing would really happen to them. Wouldn't shock me if they were sold or given their 'wife' and children as slaves.
MAYBE someone would be willing to smuggle a few into Canada but given how quickly the public turned on Fauntroy V when they just thought he was black they'd probably not risk it.
- Apartheid has nothing to do with it, the loss of slavery income is what CAUSED Apartheid, since the natives, who had been selling their own for centuries by that point, couldn't match the income of the businesses established by Europeans which continued to function decently even after the slave trade waned and were marginalized politically. Politics after all is all about the money. When the easy cash source was cut off (selling their rival tribes), they fell to the mercy of those in power who did have money to get their way since bribing key leaders would keep anti-apartheid movement disorganized and weak, as it ultimately did in our time until outside pressure finally persuaded them to cave.
Though it's also possible that the British simply conquered Africa to sell slaves to the Americans once they expanded and became too big to ignore. Sure they might've abolished it leading up to the civil war...but things happen and things change.
The Confederate States of America apparently controls land across the Americas, East Asia, and the Middle East. With that in consideration, the CSA should be a major military power, what with the vast control it wields over one of the largest empires in human history, and all the resources and subjugated populace to work with right?
Then again, if Canada of all nations is starting to militarily outstrip the CSA to the point where it could face it down and even possibly win? That can't mean the CSA is in a good shape. Especially after the crisis that may or may not have just taken down the Fauntroys, the most powerful political family in the CSA, the whole society of the country has to be feeling really shaken up. The economy is apparently weakened by the impact of slavery, they're constantly fighting wars of expansion all around the world, and they're trying to hold down everything else they own at the same time.
If the CSA has any time left, it can be counted in the low two digits, based on pure internal momentum alone.
- All I'm gonna note is a quote from the Nightmare Fuel page of 1984 (look in the note under the '1984 is plausible entry'):...no totalitarian regime, no matter how repressive, how horrifying, and how mind-controlling, can retain power forever, even if it takes centuries to collapse, all due to human nature...
- 1. African migrants
It is possible that hundreds of thousands of African fugitives have managed to reach the CSA since John McDonald gave them asylum in the 1890s. The flow of refugees must be massive, otherwise the Confederates wouldn't have to build a wall along the border with their southern neighbor, and jam radio signals.
- 2. Immigration
Many of the immigrants who would have gone to America in our timeline would have ended up in Canada, for several reasons.
- Religion: Catholics were only reluctantly considered Christians by the Confederates, and Jews were banned outright (save for a small reservation on Long Island). It is possible the millions of Catholic and Jewish immigrants who went to the America in our world instead chose Canada, which did not discriminate.
- Political climate: While most 19th century Europeans were not racially tolerant, they truly despised slavery. They would not want to immigrate to a nation so openly flaunting such a grotesque system.
- Cultural Freedom: The Confederates stomp on the throat of any culture they don't like. So its possible a lot of artistic talent ended up in Canada as well. Presley himself was an exile to Canada.