Use the arrow keys to slide all the blocks in that direction. A block that slides into another with the same value will combine with it, adding their values together. Your goal is simpleget a block of the value 2048. You lose if you are unable to make any more moves.
Tropes present in 2048:
- Ad Reward: Some versions like Shot 2048 let you continue after watching an ad.
- Gravity Screw: If you view the bottom of the board to be downnote , your job is to invoke this so that the blocks will move in the direction you pressed.
- Luck-Based Mission: Downplayed. With each move, a block will appear randomly in an empty space. Most times, the new block will be a "2", but there is a random chance that it will be a "4" instead. Winning strategies focus on minimizing or outright eliminating the risk of bad tiles getting into obstructive places, but unless you're not human, there will always be those occasions where you are forced into a painful choice, and can only hope the Random Number God is feeling merciful.
- Match-Three Game: Match two, actually.
- Morton's Fork: If the placement of your tiles is bad, then you will be forced to move in an undesired direction. You can't skip a movement because new tiles only spawn after you moved.
- No Plot? No Problem!: The game is literally just sliding tiles with numbers, without any Excuse Plot.
- Save Scumming: Some versions include a (one-shot) "undo" button. It can be abused to avoid getting new tiles in inconvenient places, or in desperate cases, to get a new "4" tile.
- Sliding Puzzle: The game's goal is to slide tiles with matching numbers onto each other.
- Superboss: You can choose to continue playing after reaching 2048, and several people have been able to get a 4096 tile.
- Some people who have built code to auto-play the game have reached the 8192 tile. No news yet on whether anyone has achieved the 16384 tile. Asusfood on reddit calculated the highest theoretical tile to be 131072, with a maximum score of 3932156 points, and at one move per second, reaching it will consume approximately 35.5 hours of your life.
- On versions that include an "undo" function, reaching higher tiles is much easier. With patience and method, reaching the 32768 tile and higher is quite doable.
- On the eight-by-eight version, 16384 is the goal, and 131072 has been achieved at least once.
- A Winner Is You: Your prize for getting the 2048 tile? The game displays a "You win!" message. And that's it.