You control a diver, who chases after a fish, while avoiding a shark. Every time you catch the fish, you score a point. If you touch the shark, you die, but you have infinite lives. The game ends when time runs out.
Shark Jaws provides examples of:
- Collision Damage: The shark.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: You respawn after a couple of seconds.
- Scoring Points: The goal is to earn as many points as possible.
- The '70s: Made to cash in on the movie Jaws, right down to designing the arcade cabinet so that the word "Shark" in the title was really small, so that people would think it was connected to Jaws at a first glance.
- Threatening Shark: The shark is the only enemy.
- Timed Mission: The game ends when the timer runs out.