Bomberman Online is a 2001 installment in the Bomberman franchise released for the Sega Dreamcast in North America. As the name suggests, it was made specifically for online multiplayer, introducing new game modes and extras to the series. The online servers were shut down in 2003 with no option for "direct dial" like its cousin Saturn Bomberman, though the game can still be played offline.
There was also a 2004 online PC game released in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau (sometimes called Online Bomberman) which was even closer to the original formula; its various servers would be discontinued between 2003 and 2007. Bomberman Online Japan was also launched in 2008, and the service ended June 2009.
This game provides examples of:
- Adorable Evil Minions: Every boss has their own adorable mooks.
- Badass Adorable: The opening cutscene shows Bomberman practicing karate in a forest; it makes people go "awww" when they see it.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The Bomber Brothers.
- Cel Shading
- Evil Laugh: Thunder Bomber has a decent one when using his special attack.
- Mood Whiplash: When the Bomber Brothers are defeated, a cinematic plays of them desperately calling out to each other while writhing in pain from burning to death.
- Oh, Crap!: Bomberman has one for every boss.
- Shout Out: The opening and intro shows Bomberman wearing an orange suit similar to Goku's. This is also reused from the Master Game in Saturn Bomberman.
- Taken for Granite: Bomber Gun Rock when you defeat him.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Thunder Bomber has Lightning Eyebrows.