New Testament SD Gundam Gaiden: New World Advent Legend is a Cardass series in the Knight Gundam series released in 2017.
A few years after the final battle between Gaitoshin Wing and Baroqugun, the D-Dolls reactivate after the moon becomes red and attack the Kingdom of Lacroa. Divine Knight Wing, currently half of the Guardian God Sunborn, and Selenis Knight Neo Gundam, pilot of Elgaia, arrive to combat against them and protect Saddrac. And then a strange knight, named Knight Gundam Barbatos, appears and attacks Neo Gundam, saying he must "die for his sins".
Its characters are based off of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.
Tropes associated with New Testament SD Gundam Gaiden: New World Advent Legend are:
- Astral Finale: The final battle takes place on the moon.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: At the end of the series, Neo Gundam recovers the equipment of the royal family from the ruins of Selenis and becomes the new king of the moon. In addition, the remaining members of the Gjallarhorn Empire begin to serve under him with some of the members of Tekkadan staying to help rebuild the moon.
- Bad Moon Rising: In the story, the moon suddenly becomes red, causing the previously inactive D-Dolls to reactivate.
- Betrayal by Inaction: The "sin" Knight Barbatos is telling Neo to die for. During the ancient moon war, Barbatos betrayed and fought Gjallarhorn to ensure the evacuation of the moon people. While this was happening, he saw Gungenesis leave the moon. Barbatos took this as a sign that the princes, Neo and Luna, were betraying the people of the moon by deserting them.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Mobile and Ahab Mail users of Gjallarhorn during the ancient moon war. The Evil of the Moon had cursed those with mails to become brainwashed and start a war with the Selenis Kingdom. While a few of them were able to break free, it was too late, seeing how the moon was on the path to ruin. It isn't until the final two arcs that the remaining members of Gjallarhorn were freed, including Prince McGillis/Crown Machine Knight Bael and Knight Galileo/Machine Knight Kimaris.
- The Bus Came Back: This is Neo Gundam's first reappearance in the series since Shin SD Gundam Gaiden Gold Saga.
- Chekhov's Gun: Kudelia's pendant. While it was implied that Gjallarhorn was after it, the reason why is unknown until the third arc. At that point, it was revealed that it holds a message that explains the truth behind the ancient moon war. It is also used to give Mikazuki the ability to transform into Iron Knight Barbatos Lupus and to help rebuild the moon.
- Expy: Masked Knight is one to...well...Masked Knight. Outside of their character design and backstory, they are nearly identical. A mysterious masked character? Check. Working with the main villain? Check. Has the ability to control giant mecha? Check. Is actually a prince under brainwashing? Check.
- First-Episode Twist: Masked Knight was introduced in the beginning of the work's first arc. Later in that same arc, it is revealed that he is a Gjallarhorn Empire spy.
- Henshin Hero: Soldier Mikazuki and those who were previously part of the Gjallarhorn Empire transform into their Gundam or Mobile Suit form using special mails note .
- Interquel: This story takes place between the events of Shin SD Gundam Gaiden Gaitoshin Senki and New Testament SD Gundam Gaiden Saddrac Knight Saga.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: While almost every SD Gundam Gaiden work has this trope to some degree, this particular series is the most notable for the fact that it spoils a major plot point from SD Gundam Gaiden Kikoushin Densetsu, being Neo Gundam's true identity.
- Midseason Upgrade: Knight Gundam Barbatos is given two in the last two chapters of the series. The first was Iron Knight Gundam Barbatos Lupus in Crimson Moonlight and the Prince's Armor after Kudelia's pendant reveals to him the truth about what happened in the Ancient Moon War. The second was Iron Knight Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex in Shining Iron Blooded Devil in the Moon, a Next Tier Powerup that resulted from Kudelia's pendant and combining all the powers of the Ahab Mails.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something:
- Neo Gundam, the prince of the fallen kingdom of Selenis, starts out by participating in the defense of Lacroa Castle in the first arc. He even helps out Knight Barbatos in and out of battle despite the latter's refusal.
- Crown Machine Knight Bael/Prince McGillis also qualifies for this trope after being freed from his brainwashing.