Shin SD Gundam Gaiden: Gold Saga is a Cardass series in the Knight Gundam series released in 1995, as well as the second entry the Shin trilogy.
Superior Dragon sacrifices himself to protect the Saddrac World from a Corona Nova, a strange occurrence that causes the sun to expand and turn the land into a burning inferno. His remains, the Gold Soul, then spread its power to ten chosen people, two of them being Knight Shine Gundam and Knight Domon. With this newfound power, they partner up and "Unite" to control War God Machine King of Heart to fight against the new evil Death-Superior Clan.
The story focuses on a return to the kingdom of Lacroa, and interestingly enough, would introduce human characters who could turn into Gundam a la Tokusatsu heroes (This would later be expanded upon in the next story). Its characters are based off of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam and Mobile Fighter G Gundam.
Tropes associated with Shin SD Gundam Gaiden Gold Saga are:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Domon ends up becoming this at some point in the story.
- The Bus Came Back: This work features the first appearance of King Gundam II, Vassal Knight GP01, and Selenis Knight Neo Gundam since the end of the original "Gaiden" works.
- Just as her basis was based off of Sailor Moon, Quartz Lady Nobel Gundam is based off of Sailor Chibi Moon.
- Foreign Warrior Godzorla, Foreign Warrior Strike Geara Doga, Foreign Warrior Novil Shokew, Foreign Warrior RF Gouf, Foreign Warrior Opt-Zollidia, Foreign Warrior Ice Boma, Foreign Warrior Wild Gogg, and Foreign Warrior Hammer Gelgoog are all based off of Marvel Comics characters Wolverine, the Thing, Mister Fantastic, Spider-Man, Cyclops, Ice Man, Sabretooth, and Thor, respectively.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: One of the characters, Spy Tomino/Monster Wolfman, is based off of Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.
- The Team: The Shuffle Knights, who in this story are a force made up of the lead protagonists from the last four Knight Gundam works.