- The storybook segments in Super Mario Galaxy. The art style and background music is slightly heart-rending to begin with, but it gets worse when Rosalina admits to herself that her mother is "sleeping under the tree in the hill".
- At first the music is just like all of the other storyline segments but after the playback of young Rosalina's memories the music changes as she has a complete breakdown.
- Not to mention the game's ending: All of the Lumas die due to what appears to be the universe ending... followed by muted baby cries, representing that they have been reborn.
- When your Luma chirps and waves goodbye to you before hurling itself into the black hole.
- Related to this, if you finish the game with all 120 stars, the bonus scene after the credits will likely have you crying tears of a different sort; after Rosalina says her farewell and her ship takes off, the camera pans back to the Gateway Galaxy planet and zooms in to reveal your Luma peeking from behind a rusted mushroom ship (presumably the same one from the storybook) and waving, alive and well after all... followed by a shot of the Luma chirping as it soars into the air.
- When the black hole forms and begins sucking the characters into it, Mario and Peach desperately reach for each other before flying apart.
Tear Jerker / Super Mario Galaxy