- The fact that the intro shows Mario's iconic hat being destroyed. Good thing Cappy was such a good replacement.
- On top of that, Mario was defeated.
- Before Mario and Cappy become allies, Cappy sees Mario lying there unconscious and starts to worry about him. He doesn't even know the guy yet, but he's concerned for him.
- Also, when Cappy reveals that his sister was taken, Mario looks incredibly sad for him. It's also a nice change of pace from his always neutral expression in all his previous games.
- Knucklotec's defeat counts as this as he's the only boss in the game not affiliated with Bowser. Because Mario's a Silent Protagonist and Poor Communication Kills, he believes Mario took the Binding Band instead of Bowser and is soundly defeated, crumbled and blown to bits. All he wanted was his ring back...
- Look at Peach's sad eyes in this trailer screenshot◊ (from the intermittent fight in the Cloud Kingdom's Nimbus Arena). Just look at them! In the game proper, you can see Tiara as well for double the tears.
- After Bowser opens fire on the Odyssey and shoots Mario down, Peach can be heard begging him to stop as he leaves.
- A minor example, but one of the new enemies introduced in Bowser's Kingdom, the Stairface Ogre, lets out a rather painful-sounding death cry when you defeat it. It's hard not to feel a little bit sad because of it.
- Before the final boss, there's a huge ring that Bowser and Peach are tugging over, as Peach doesn't want to get married. So they're fighting in front of everybody at the wedding while the organ music plays.
- Peach rejecting Bowser and Mario in the ending. Bowser had legitimately been attempting to woo Peach in his own brash and violent way, and even after his wedding plans are foiled, is still offering her a bouquet. The thing of it is, however, Mario had been going up to Peach to propose himself before Bowser shoves him aside, and is forced to try and salvage it. Peach is confused and flustered, and ultimately gives a quiet "Enough" and heads to the Odyssey, but it's softened when she waves to them and asks to go home.
- And as Peach begins to leave, Bowser just...weeps, silently. He looks well and truly hurt after everything he planned, everything he did, turned out to be for nothing. Mario even tries to comfort him with a pat on the back/shell.
- Not to mention that you can hear MARIO sobbing himself, which makes the scene hurt that much more. It's offputting to hear such a cheerful character completely and utterly crushed by the girl he loves, even if it's just for a moment.
- The song playing during the escape and in said cutscene makes it worse, as it's a love song, one verse ending with "So let's shoot for the stars and let this love really shine".
- In Rabbit Ridge, when only Rango is left, he delivers a small speech before fighting you.Heh, gotta say... The whole time, we were as perfect as perfect gets.
Did everything Bowser wanted. Then you mucked it up.
No one will hire us now. So, guess what?
You're gonna pay—for ALL of it!
- The line that Cappy says before grabbing the Long Journey's End moon.We've come a long way, you and me...
We've seen a bunch of different kingdoms...
I mean, sure, we got shot down and stuff along the way...
This trip really was amazing.
Thank you, Mario. It's been an honor walking a mile on your head.
- As Cappy wraps up his dialogue here, a music box version of the Cascade Kingdom music plays, slowing down to a finish as Mario reaches the top of the building to grab the multi moon.
- When you 100% complete the game, you're awarded with a group photo after the credits, showing Mario properly capped...but it's not Cappy, who is floating separately with Tiara. While it's good for Mario to have his trusty hat back, it seems to mean Cappy and Mario will be parting ways after this adventure together. Eventually downplayed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which reveals via a Taunt that Mario and Cappy would meet again in other games.
- When Madame Broode successfully smacks her Chain Chompikins to get Mario out of its body during her boss fights, you can hear it whimpering.
Tear Jerker / Super Mario Odyssey
Moment Subpages are Spoilers Off. You Have Been Warned.