It's a semi-fictionalized account of Tig Notaro's life dealing with breast cancer, bilateral mastectomy, losing her mother in a freak accident, dealing with her widowed stepfather, and getting dumped by her girlfriend. Naturally, it also manages to be darkly comedic like the woman herself.
This show provides examples of:
- Big Eater: Remy, Tig's older brother.
- Black Comedy: Despite the ridiculous confluence of misfortune, Tig's dry wit manages to extract quite a bit of humor.
- Broken Bird: Tig was molested as a child. To a lesser degree, her brother and father.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tig might as well be the header image for this trope. Everything she does is deadpan, really.
- Memento Macguffin: Explored in one episode with Bill, and the glassware from his wedding.
- Mood Whiplash: And how. Visions of her dead mother are quickly followed by comic reactions to her stepfather's deeply entrenched routines.