The show ran for two seasons before it was cancelled with a total of 24 episodes.
The show provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: When Charles Shaughnessy (Fran's co-star from The Nanny) guest stars, Fran has a crush on him and pictures herself married to him with three kids and a butler.Fran: You're like the mother I never had!
- They even add to this by having Ann Guilbert play the role of Renee's character's mothernote .
- All the Good Men Are Gay: The show's tagline plays with this:"All the good men are either married or gay. I got both."
- Amicable Exes: Essentially the premise of the entire show. Despite Fran and Peter's marriage being over because he's gay, the two are still great friends and hold no animosity toward each other over it.
- Depraved Bisexual: Charles Shaughnessy, aka Maxwell from The Nanny, guest stars in the Season One finale as Gregory Sherwood, a man who managed to seduce both Fran and Peter (neither of whom realized till the very end) and lure them into his hotel room. Fran tells Peter "He's straight!" Peter tells Fran "He's gay!" Gregory suddenly announces that "He's boooth!!" and invites them both to bed. Fran and Peter turn him down.
- Incompatible Orientation: Fran and Peter didn't learn this until they had been married for about 20 years, but it's what ends their marriage — Peter's gay and Fran's straight.
- Last Het Romance: Fran is Peter's last straight lover.
- Life Embellished: The show is essentially a lighter, softer, and wackier version of what happened with the real life Fran and Peter. The general premise of Fran and Peter divorcing after Peter came out as gay is real, however, in real life, the revelation left Fran and Peter not speaking to each other, and it was only Fran Drescher's uterine cancer diagnosis that led them to reconcile.
- Oblivious to Love: Peter can be really clueless when a guy makes a pass at him.
- Sex with the Ex: In the penultimate episode of season 1, Fran and Peter get drunk and sleep together, resulting in a Pregnancy Scare (she wasn't).