Developed by DM Blowhard, The Children of Ao is long-running play-by-post Role-Playing Game originally hosted on Plothook.net here. After that site was lost, the players moved to a Tumblr blog, which can be found here. The original content of the roleplay is lost, but an archived summary of it remains.
The game begins by having Ao create the Player Characters, telling them to begin the age of creation, but to always remember that his big brother presence will always be with them.
Time within the game is intertwined with the real-world time in which the game is being played. This is to speed up the Creation that the gods have made, and to also show how time in the mortal realm and the realm of the gods are inherently different. Each turn (12 hours of real time) represents a year of in-game time. Each day at noon (U.S. Central time), and again at midnight, all gods will receive one Act. This will usually be accompanied by Ao's report on the effects of the previous 12 hours' worth of Acts.
The Children of Ao contains examples of:
- Blessed with Suck: Trafine attempts to convert the Moon People to his side by force. When it fails, he instead curses them- they're 'blessed' with incredible knowledge, but are also forbidden from leaving their village, turning them into the Cloistered.
- Creation Story: The original roleplay detailed the creation of the world by the various gods that were controlled by the players. Avell and Ishnaya are responsible for creating the sun and the moon, the former by casting his eye into the heavens. The world itself is a collaboration between all of the gods, starting first with the ocean and plantlife and then steadily filling in the rest.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: Dusk. No actual resemblance to Jesus, but he was a prophet that ascended to divinity.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Shidara Kall is a goddess of darkness, healing, and comfort. She's the nice one.
- Fantastic Racism: Avell takes the shadow of caverns and molds two species from it- surface shades and the Deep Ones. The second group live within the underground, and hate the surface and every creature that lives on it.
- Our Orcs Are Different: The Orcs have empathy and reverse-karma shaman magic!
- Our Vampires Are Different: After Avell creates a race of shadow creatures that abhor those that live on the surface, Trafine then imbues them with a vampiric power that allows them to absorb creature's souls and turn them into thralls. The Unholy Alliance uses this power to swell their army, while those not affiliated with the Alliance form a violent society known as the Thrall Lords.
- Sophisticated as Hell: The world's creation is described in a archaic way befitting a mythological tale, except for one notable part:Ishnaya cries onto Danno, her tears form its oceans.
Orboro creates three types of trees, those that need only sunlight to grow, those that need only water, and those that are made of stone.
Trafine fucks the moon, Amadora, a race called the Moon People are created by the union.