The One with... the mouse camera.
When a Nuclear Plant (that uses a new method of cooling) explodes in Australia, it gives the dastardly Hood an idea; a similar project is brought online in the Sahara a year later and he steals a new prototype camera disguised as a mouse, sabotaging the Saharan plant and drawing the attention of International Rescue!
The first part of his plan goes without a hitch, but the sabotage rapidly grows out of hand and soon the entire plant is on the verge of destruction. Thunderbird 4 successfully disables the seawater intake for the plant, thus averting a nuclear disaster and instead of getting pictures of Thunderbird 2's dials and control panel, the Hood's mouse-cam takes pictures of Lady Penelope's freaked out (she hates mice) face instead!
Incidentally, this is the only episode to feature all five Thunderbirds on screen.
- Eek, a Mouse!!
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: The Hood's Glowing Eyes of Doom are seen through glasses (including in the teaser trailer at the beginning), which he is wearing as part of his Professor Langley disguise.
- Happy Storm: After the facility in Australia explodes, the only thing that keeps the resulting radioactive cloud from reaching Melbourne is a strong wind.
- Leitmotif: The mouse-cam has an appropriately scurrying tune.
- Made of Explodium: Any incident in the nuclear plant automatically triggers a chain reaction that will cause a nuclear explosion.
- Percussive Therapy: In his rage over its failure to get any useful photographs of Thunderbird 2's interior, the Hood pounds the Mighty Atom into powder with his bare fists.The Hood: You stupid! Idiotic! Failure!
- Prequel: The first act, where The Hood destroys the facility in Australia, is chronologically set before International Rescue became operational.
- Robot Buddy: The Mighty Atom to The Hood, at least until he angrily destroys it.
- Spanner in the Works: Lady Penelope to The Hood. Since the mouse-cam is programmed to locate human faces to determine what to photograph, The Hood's attempt to take pictures of Thunderbird 2 result in only Lady Penelope being visible on the photo's.
- Stay In Thunderbird 2: Lady Penelope pleads with Jeff to be allowed to go on the rescue, as she happens to be visiting the base. Eventually she is allowed to go, although she stays in Thunderbird 2 while Virgil and Scott do the dangerous work.
- Title Drop: The Mighty Atom is the nickname of the mouse cam.
- Villain Ball: The Hood smashing the Mighty Atom counts, big time. Yes, it failed to get any usable shots of the Thunderbird craft, but it still had plenty of pictures of the atomic plant, which is what the Hood went there for in the first place! Not to mention, The Hood could easily have tried to make it photograph the Thunderbirds again had he not smashed the mouse, and Lady Penelope's cover could have been blown.