When a fire starts in the office, the gang waits outside. They play "Desert Island" and "Who Would You Do?" Michael attempts to mentor Ryan, who doesn't want to be a "guy" with a "thing" at Dunder Mifflin.
- The Cameo: Amy Adams makes her second appearance as Katy.
- Derailed for Details: Dwight, during his "Desert Island" book and movie lists. Michael when trying to answer business questions.
- Epic Fail: Ryan, who has been trying to avoid becoming an office gimmick and being called "The X Guy", ends up becoming "The Fire Guy" when it's revealed that he caused the fire due to burning a cheese pita by putting the toaster oven on the wrong setting.
- Dirty Coward: Michael races out of the office and down the stairs the second the fire alarm starts.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Dwight becomes extremely jealous of Michael's newfound attention for Ryan, to the point that Jim finds him sulking in his car to "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. He even runs into the smokey building to retrieve Michael's phone just to regain his favor, and then proceeds to gloat at Ryan when he finds out Ryan's mistake caused the fire.
- We Didn't Start the Billy Joel Parodies: "Ryan started the fire!"