The boys, in an effort to get more exercise, take fencing lessons from Kripke. Meanwhile, Stuart asks the girls for help attracting female customers to the comic book store.
- Audible Sharpness : Displayed when Sheldon swishes the sword. The word "swash" (as in "swashbuckler") comes from the sound the sword makes.
- Chaos While They're Not Looking: While Barry takes a phone call, the guys stop practicing advancing and retreating and engage in some Flynning, then go back to their practice when Barry hangs up.
- Imagine the Audience Naked : A very creepy version is referenced by Stuart.
- Implausible Fencing Powers : Averted, since it's their first day in fencing and their technique shows it. However, Sheldon challenges Barry to a duel...in three years.
- Kindness Ball: For the entire fencing lesson, Barry drops his usual jerkass tendencies and is a very respectful, competent instructor. After the lesson, he picks them back up and sends Amy a nude pic.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Amy doesn't show much reaction to Barry's nude pic, and casually shows it to Penny and Bernadette.
- Older Than They Look : One of the women Sheldon hits on in the bar is played by Patrika Darbo, who is 67 but looks like she's in her early 40s.
- Shout-Out : To The Princess Bride and Puss in Boots.Howard: Hello. My name is Iñigo Montoya. You killed my Father. Prepare to die.
Raj: Hello. My name is Iñigo Montoya. You killed my Father. Prepare to die.
Howard: Aren't you supposed to be Puss in Boots?
Raj: Hello. My name is Puss in Boots. You killed my Father. Prepare to die.
- That Came Out Wrong : Since a fencing strike is called a "touch," several instances.Leonard, prepare for vigorous touching!
- Touché : One of the reasons Sheldon wants to fence is this trope. He explains that fencing is the only literal use of touche, until Leonard points out tag on a French schoolyard would serve the same purpose. Touche.