Writer: Robbie Thompson
Director: Thomas J. Wright
"NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER Seen entirely from the point of view of the Impala, Sam and Dean go on a road trip to fight monsters and demons."
For this episode: 1 nachzehrer.
For the series so far = At least 1172 humans (of which 13 were witches), 1119 angels, 180 demons, 69 vampires, 51 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 Khan Worms, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, Death, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 nachzehrer, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Auto Erotica: Sam and a girl named Piper made the beast with two backs in the Impala.
- Bottle Episode: Takes place entirely in the Impala.
- Breather Episode
- Chekhov's Gun: Piper's lost pin becomes useful for Dean later on, as well as the valet friend's lost purse.
- Day in the Life: This episode focuses on the journey part of Sam and Dean's hunting routine whereas the episodes are usually focused on the action that happens once they get to the hunt. As such we get to see them actually driving, singing, sleeping, talking, eating, fighting, and the aftermath of , ahem, other activities all in the car rather than cutting away when they decide they need to travel only to cutback once they arrive.
- Day in the Limelight: The fandom often refers to the winchester's Chevy Impala, Baby, as the fourth member of Team Free Will and she finally got her day in the spotlight.
- Dead Person Conversation: In what may be a dream or a vision, Sam talks to a young John Winchester.
- Horrifying the Horror: The monster Dean and Sam are tracking down is building an army of converts to fight the darkness. Sam comments that the darkness is so dangerous that now even the monsters are shitting their pants over it.
- How We Got Here: The episode opens with Dean cuffed on the back seat of the Impala. Cue 48 hours earlier.
- Hybrid Monster: Dean desperately wants the monster of the week to be a vampire hybrid so he can give it what he thinks is an Awesome Mc Coolname. He starts by hoping it's a vampire/werewolf hybrid so he calls it a Werepire. Later, Castiel tells him it's more like a vampire/ghoul hybrid, so Dean triumphantly calls it a Ghoulpire. Nobody else buys it.
- Internal Reveal: Sam tells Dean that he had been infected and had nightmarish visions.
- Is That What They're Calling It Now?: Sam tells Dean he's going to a diner to study lore. The next day, Dean stumbles into the aftermath of Sam's backseat tryst. After Sam's companion leaves, Dean wryly remarks, "Digging into the lore? Is that what they're calling it now?"
- Kinda Busy Here: Cas calls Dean and launches into a long discussion of what he's found while researching the monster of the week. Dean, who put the call on speaker and then placed the phone on the dashboard, doesn't actually hear much of the explanation because he's busy fist fighting, shooting, and decapitating the monster who appeared out of nowhere.
- Losing Your Head: The monster of the week can survive decapitation and is extremely pissed off about it.
- Lower-Deck Episode: Sort of, except the character they're focusing on is the car, with Sam and Dean in it.
- Road Trip Plot: This episode focuses on what Sam and Dean get up to between the Bunker and the Hunt. The plot centers around what happens in the car and also shows entertaining interactions with the locals every time they stop.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Sam and Dean rides in town with a window covered in blood yet nobody cares. Gets worse later on when they drive through the town with the Impala half-wrecked, with the only still-intact window being the one covered in blood.
- Vampire Monarch: When Deputy Donelly is (finally) killed, Mrs. Markham and her family return to human.