Writer: Nancy Won
Director: Rashaad Ernesto Green
A double murder in a Fall River, Massachusetts bed and breakfast based in the former home of Lizzie Borden gives Sam and Dean an apparent ghost hunting case. They get more than they bargained for when the Darkness turns out to be involved.
For this episode: 7 humans.
For the series so far = At least 1179 humans (of which 13 were witches), 1119 angels, 180 demons, 69 vampires, 51 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 Khan Worms, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, Death, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 nachzehrer, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Abusive Parents: Sydney's parents used her and her sister as ashtrays. She also doesn't have a very high opinion of Jordie's parents, given that Jordie's mother was cheating on her husband and his father was (apparently) dealing meth.
- An Axe to Grind: How the killings are done, in keeping with the Lizzie Borden theme. Also how Soulless Len Fletcher kills Sydney, the actual murderer, after removing his thumb to escape the handcuffs.
- Asshole Victim: According to the murderer, at least.
- Creepy Good: Len winds up as this without a soul. Sure, he's weird as hell, but he still does the right thing.
- Fingore: Len removes his own thumb in order to escape from being handcuffed. He's a little disturbed by how easy it was.
- Incriminating Indifference: Sam is unnerved when the wife of one of the victims is remarkably cold when her husband is found hacked to death in their driveway, but she's not the culprit, merely a cheating wife.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Discussed. Dean jokingly says that Sam wants to visit the Lizzie Borden house because of his "freaky fetish for serial killers".
- "Scooby-Doo" Hoax: From two directions. The Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast Museum is revealed to have an EMF generator in the attic as well as tape recordings in the walls and automatic dimmers, all to simulate a haunting. Meanwhile the "how" of the murders turns out to be relatively mundane. It's the "why" that's the scary part.
- Red Herring: See "Scooby-Doo" Hoax above.
- The Soulless: Both Len and Sydney after Amara is done with them. The results are more immediately volatile in Sydney's case, while Len at least initially is more numbed out than anything.
- Taking the Heat: Len decides to take the blame for the murders Sydney committed, both because he doesn't trust himself to be free and because he remembers how doing the right thing felt.
- Your Cheating Heart: Jordie's mother was cheating on her husband.
- Your Soul Is Mine: The source of the problem.