Next: Supernatural S 04 E 20 The Rapture
Jump The Shark
Written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.
Directed by Phil Sgriccia.
Air Date: April 23, 2009.
Sam and Dean receive a call on their dad's phone—it's Adam. Adam Milligan, John's other son, the one they didn't have a clue existed. His mother has gone missing and his town, Windom, Minnesota, is suffering from a ghoulish mystery: who is stealing bodies from graves?
Body countFor this episode = 3 humans and 2 ghouls.
For the series so far = At least 307 humans (of which 5 were witches), 28 ghosts, 22 demons, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- Avenging the Villain: The ghouls are after Sam and Dean because John killed their parent.
- Continuity Nod: Dean still picks scissors.Dean: Why didn't I pick paper?
- Conveniently Interrupted Document: Up to this point, Sam and Dean had been using John's journal as their hunting bible, referring to it whenever they were stumped. But when they go to check it about the one thing it should definitely include, a third son John never mentioned, the pages that chronologically should have recorded those dates have been ripped out, presumably by John.
- Dead All Along
- Decapitation Required: Blowing a ghoul's brains out also works.
- Everything Is Racist/Fantastic Slur: The ghouls take offense to being called ghouls.Sam: Silver. No wonder none of the tests worked. You're not shapeshifters. You're ghouls.Ghoul Kate: You know, I find that term racist.
- Insult Backfire: While "insult" might not be the correct word, Sam takes Dean's comparison of him to their late father John as a compliment to which Dean replies that he can take it any way he wants, implying the comparison was meant to be anything but a compliment.
- Kill and Replace
- Long Lost Sibling
- Not So Different: John and Sam. Sam's decision to train Adam is exactly what John did to Sam and Dean.Dean: [to Sam] Y'know, I finally get why you and Dad butted heads so much. You two are practically the same person.
- Parental Sexuality Squick
- Sailor Earth: Adam is a deconstruction of the "third Winchester" plot.
- Secret Other Family: According to the ghoul, John would periodically go visit Adam and his mother while Sam and Dean, oblivious, waited in a motel for John to return from his "hunting trip."
- Self-Deprecation: The title refers to Jumping the Shark; adding a new "long-lost family member" to a TV series is usually considered by its fans as one way a show has jumped the shark, but, in this case, it isn't, partly because this family member is going to stay lost.
- Spot the Imposter: Dean and Sam test Adam using salt, silver, and holy water. Unfortunately, ghouls aren't susceptible to any of these things.
- Too Much Alike: By the episode ends, Dean comes to think this is why Sam and John never got along.
- To Serve Man/You Are Who You Eat: The ghouls eat humans (usually ones that are already dead) and take on the form of the last person they ate.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Maybe he slipped one past the goalie."
- Worst Aid: Sam's wrists are sliced to ribbons. Dean wraps a towel around them and that's apparently good enough.
- You Remind Me of X: Sam decides to be tough on Adam, who reminds him of himself when he was younger.