Airdate: Monday, October 8, 2007
Sender: Gunkiller, Standing Right Behind You
"Gunk-iller" and his friends ask Strong Bad for suggestions on making a web comic, which according to Strong Bad is easy.
Strong Bad's suggestions include:
- A comic about "slickly drawn college roommates [who] make nothing but video game inside jokes", with a sample strip of "Gamerj0x" that eventually degenerates into random PS3 tech specifications.
- A comic based on input from readers ("What a cop-out!"), such as The Cheat's comics based on weird senders' names from spam e-mails, like "Knowingest J. Drawbridges".
- An overly-photoshopped fantasy comic, with an example featuring the adventures of "Borgorroth of Coolswordoroth".
- A sprite comic, with a demonstration starring Stinkoman, and the last-ditch advice "when your pixel comic's not funny, MS Paint your way to a non-punchline!"
After a brief tangent on crummy animated adaptations of video games, Strong Bad concludes that Gunkiller and his friends should not make a web comic.
- Calling Your Attacks: Parodied. During the "Photoshopped fantasy comic" segment, the wizard and Borgorroth call out different Photoshop effects that they use to "attack" each other.Wizard: LENS FLARE!
Borgorroth: Uh... PLASTIC WRAP!
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The list of spam emails the Cheat opens up, which includes "Lem Sportsinterviews" and "hooray4dolphins".
- Hypocritical Humor: Strong Bad calls web comics that "ask for input from your viewers and rip that off for content" (which is pretty much what Strong Bad Email is) a "cop-out". This remark is even punctuated by the New Paper coming down.
- Overly Long Gag: An Easter egg features an extended version of the "Borgorroth of Coolswordoroth" segment, with Borgorroth and his evil wizard nemesis throwing out random Photoshop filters until the screen is completely illegible.
- "Gamerj0x" is an obvious parody of Two Gamers on a Couch comics such as Penny Arcade and Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- In the "Gamerj0x" web comic, Strong Sad lists out the technical specs of the Playstation 3 as part of a joke about Techno Babble.
- The Cheat's comic based on spam e-mail senders' names is a nod to Spamusement.
- The "Saturday Mornideo Games" sequence is a parody of various Saturday morning cartoons based (often loosely) on video games, such as Saturday Supercade and Captain N: The Game Master.
- An Easter egg references the indie band Archers of Loaf and their song "Web in Front".
- Sprite Comic: The Stinkoman comic segment is a parody of these, using sprite art from the Stinkoman 20X6 Flash game.
- Take That!: Strong Bad spoofs the ever-loving hell out of popular web comics (and their many imitators).
- Techno Babble: The spoof of Two Gamers on a Couch style web comics devolves into Strong Bad and Strong Sad randomly spouting tech specifications for the PlayStation 3.
- You Make Me Sic: Strong Bad draws attention to a missing period after the sentence "Thanks a lot" by following it up with a snarky "...for not using punctuation."