Spamusement is a Web Comic whose strips (usually of the single-panel variety) are all based on the subject lines of spam received by its creator Steven Frank. Given that he picks out the weirder and more incomprehensible examples of these, there is a tendency towards extreme surrealism. The members of Spamusers, formerly the Spamusement Forums, followed this trend. As of 2020, though, all Spamusement sites seem to be dead.
Spamusement provides examples of the following tropes:
- The "Fun" in "Funeral": "HELLO ME NOT DEAD" features an annoyed Cookie Monster waking up in his coffin at his (premature) funeral.
- Groin Attack: A Running Gag involves spam of the "use your penis as a tool" variety, showing something associated with that tool in the foreground and an ambulance in the background.
- Running Gag: In addition to the tool gags, about four comics have had a shelf of terrible software and a number of others have had a pile of cellulite or an eggplant. Cupcakes and pterodactyls are also popular.
- Schedule Slip: New works by Steven Frank himself are rare (the most recent comic is from 2007), so his fans, or at least fans of the concept, have provided content via the Guest Strip forum.
- Take That!:
- Unusual Euphemism: The Spamusement forum's swear filter has some very strange euphemisms for "fuck" ("fork"), "shit" ("poopcakes"), "cunt" ("tuna sandwich"), and "bullshit" ("bullhonkey").