SpongeBob and Patrick find a houseboat haunted by ghost pirates.
Contains examples of:
- All There in the Script: The ghost pirate captain is named "Lord Poltergeist" in the credits.
- Big "NO!": Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick shout this as their sucked into The Void.
- Inside The Void, Mr. Krabs shouts this after finding out the porta-potty costs 25 cents to use. The donut then shouts this in Patrick's nightmare.
- Brick Joke: About midway through the episode, Sandy appears in the Krusty Krab with ghost hunting equipment, looking for milkshake gremlins. At the end, Sandy actually does find one.
- Creepy Changing Painting: The haunted houseboat has a bunch. One of which, is a vase with flowers that turns into savage worms that attack SpongeBob
- Halloween Episode: Often marketed as a Halloween episode.
- Medium Blending: While fighting over the chest of doubloons, Mr. Krab's face deforms into that of a live-action crab.
- After the Flying Dutchman drops an atomic bomb, the live-action mushroom cloud shows the Dutchman's face on it.
- To prove he is actually a ghost, Lord Poltergeist shows SpongeBob and Patrick some small anchovies on a live-action pizza.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The chest of gold that Mr. Krabs tries to take from the ship actually belongs to the Flying Dutchman as revealed by the "Property Of" stamp. SpongeBob then calls the number on the chest, claiming that reporting stolen property is his civic duty, bringing the wrath of the Flying Dutchman on them.
- Special Guest: Chris Elliot as Lord Poltergeist.
- That Cloud Looks Like...: SpongeBob and Patrick do this at the beginning of the episode.
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: Patrick's fear in the void manifests into a living donut appearing on his head and the latter expanding so he can't reach it. However, Patrick doesn't react since he claims not to like plain donuts. When the donut tries to shape itself into something Patrick does like so he can continue torturing him, he is quickly driven crazy by Patrick's inability to make up his mind.
- Unishment: Patrick gets sent to an Ironic Hell where he has a talking donut on his head that he can't eat because when he tries to grab it, it makes the top of his head grow so the donut is out of his reach. Patrick complains that it's a plain donut and makes it turn into different flavors, then asks for it to turn into a stack of pancakes, and then a Krabby Patty before deciding he wants a plain donut again, leading to the donut's Big "NO!".
- Welcome to My World: Squidward says this after Lord Poltergeist complains about SpongeBob snitching to the Dutchman.
- With Friends Like These...: After realizing the haunted houseboat and ghosts are real, Patrick's first reaction is to cower and offer up SpongeBob to save himself.Lord Poltergeist: Nice friend you got there.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Lord Poltergeist takes SpongeBob and Patrick's souls and plans to keep them until they bring him a new head gasket. When they do, he gives them back as promised and reveals that he never had them in the first place.
- Your Worst Nightmare: The void acts as this.