Adora enters the First Ones citadel with Catra on her tail. Inside, they're caught in an illusion simulator that brings back painful memories.
- A Boy and His X: While Adora and Catra's relationship was definitely more like friends, the flashbacks in this episode cement that Shadow Weaver pretty much just saw Catra as Adora's pet. She bluntly tells Catra that she's only allowed to stay because Adora likes her, and then admonishes Adora for letting Catra cause trouble.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Shadow Weaver gives young Adora a pat on the head while calmly asking her not to wander into the Black Garnet chamber without permission again... after magically torturing Catra for doing the exact same thing.
- Always Second Best: Catra's further divide from Adora is spurred by remembering how Shadow Weaver always preferred Adora over her.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The citadel uses giant spider robots to defend itself.
- Flashback: Much of the episode is Adora and Catra being shown holographic versions of formative events from their youth.
- Going in Circles: Adora finds herself in this situation while trying to reach the citadel from the third episode.
- Hologram: Played with. As the holographic flashback proceeds, projected versions of Catra and Adora's childhood selves occasionally replace their real-life bodies.
- I Let You Win: Flashback Catra tells this to Adora after losing their sparring match, if only to soothe her damaged pride.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Shadow Weaver delivers a non-romantic version to young Catra about young Adora.
- Literal Metaphor: Adora is told to "Let go" by the holo-assistant. At the end, she's in a Literal Cliffhanger and is told to let go, following her sword which Catra dropped into the pit.
- Mind over Matter: In a flashback, Shadow Weaver discovers the girls sneaking around her chambers and telekinetically grabs Catra to prevent her escape.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: When Catra brings the First One tech back for Entraptra, Scorpia says "What did I tell you? She's the best friend ever!" Catra flinches, since she just left Adora to die.
- Poor Communication Kills: Catra was always annoyed at how Adora seemed better at her at everything, but whenever Adora asked, Catra lied and said she was fine. This eventually built up until she had a serious grudge against Adora.
- Psychological Torment Zone: The crystal that scans Adora and Catra creates a projection of their memories. This drives Catra even further from Adora, as it makes her remember how Adora was always Shadow Weaver's favorite.
- Redundant Rescue: Type B. After being caught in a spider robot's sticky shot and dragged away, upon realizing Adora might not be coming to help, Catra cuts herself free and makes short work of the robot's wiring. It gives her a nice self-confidence boost... until She-Ra catches up and stabs it in the head, leaving Catra less than impressed.
- The Unfavorite: Shadow Weaver's "parenting" is demonstrated in the flashbacks. Catra is tortured for entering her chambers without permission, while Adora, who did the exact same thing, is merely told to keep Catra in line.
- Wham Line: When Catra and Adora confront each other after the memory of Shadow Weaver threatening Catra.Catra: Why do you think I gave you the sword? I didn't want you to come back!