"Hugs Can Be Deceiving" is the third episode of Season 2 of Orange Is the New Black.
Piper returns to Litchfield in the company of a new batch of inmates, including Brook Soso. Larry meets with journalist Andrew Nance for a story about Litchfield: Nance has been chatting with Figueroa about the prison's finances, and wants Larry to use Piper to get a better look at the books. Morello finds out that Christopher is getting married to another woman. Vee starts setting up her network within the prison, starting by recruiting Crazy Eyes. Flashbacks show Suzanne's childhood, an adopted child who feels out of place not because she's black, not because she's weird, but because she can't live up to the hopes and dreams of her parents. Despite the love between her and her parents, it's Vee's encouragement that ultimately moves her. Chapman is called into Caputo's office to kiss and make up with Pennsatucky. Caputo imposes no penalties and calls it a fair fight... because, as flashbacks reveal, the last time Suzanne tried to sing, at high school graduation, she also clammed up. During the Christmas pageant, she charged out and punched Chapman across the face, declaring her independence from her (blonde, white) mother. Chapman thanks Suzanne for saving her bacon, and offers her friendship... but Suzanne, taking Vee's words to heart, moves on with her life.
This episode provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Day Inthe Limelight: Suzanne.
- Ambiguous Disorder: To be clear, Suzanne is not all right in the head, but she's a lot less wrong-in-the-head than she appears. Mommy Issues + Mr. Imagination + impulse control = Crazy Eyes. (Having said that, we still don't know what she was arrested for...)
- Asian Airhead: New character Brook Soso. "This isn't how I imagined prison to be at all."
- Did You Get a New Haircut?: Pennsatucky plays this game with Leslie. Leslie keeps saying she's acting different. Pennsatucky's response is You're Just Jealous.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Morello, during Heroic BSoD.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Suzanne's version of the princess story. None of the other little girls like it.
- Jewish Mother: Larry's date remarking how involved his parents are in his life
- Mama Bear: Don't ever insult Suzanne's adopted mom.
- Punny Name: Brook says she was originally named for Brooke Shields, and then her parents said she was named for a brook. "The babbling kind."
- Singing in the Shower: How Red discovers Vee's return to Litchfield.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Suzanne at her sister's friend's birthday party. She's several years older and taller than the others, the only black kid, and her mother all but forced the host to let her stay.
- The Un-Hug: Piper and Pennsatucky, at Caputo's urging.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Gal: Suzanne doesn't like being this person, but she is one in the end.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Vee's opinion of Suzanne.