Detective Murdoch investigates a bizarre case when a convicted murderer apparently manages to survive the hangman's noose.
- Everyone Has Standards: When the Hanging Judge discovered that the prosecutor bribed a witness to give damning testimony he was genuinely outraged.
- Knight Templar: Crown Prosecutor Dilllard.
- Mugged for Disguise: Fox knocks out Crabtree and steals his uniform so he can sneak into the morgue.
- Off with His Head!: When the Crown Prosecutor is hanged for his murder of the judge, the young hangman botched the execution and miscalculated the drop, making it too long. Rather than breaking his neck, he was completely decapitated.
- Spiteful Spit: Fox spits in the hangman's face as he puts the noose round his neck.
- Waking Up at the Morgue: Fox escapes hanging by means of an impromptu tracheotomy and the hangman deliberately shortening the drop. He wakes up at the morgue and terrifies Juia as she makes his escape.