Barney tries to get his dad drunk in order to connect with the reckless party animal that Jerry was when Barney was just a kid.
This episode provides examples of:
- Crazy-Prepared: Barney gives each of his friends "personality modification" cards to impress his father. Ted receives a stack of topics to avoid talking about; right as he starts quoting Oscar Wilde, Barney tells him to read the cards, and the first one says "No quoting Oscar Wilde".
- From a Certain Point of View: Jerry takes advantage of Barney's drunkenness to make him believe that they're causing trouble on the street (e.g., what Barney remembers as Jerry roughing up a biker is just Jerry shaking a mannequin).
- Playing Drunk: Jerome tricks Barney by pretending to drink whilst secretly diposing of them and switching his bottle of alchohol with milk so that Barney would think he got his cool "Crazy Jerry" back to teach him a lesson.
- Special Edition Title: The gang performs the theme song as the band Barney claims they're in. With everyone on vocals, Lily and Ted lead, Barney's on electric guitar, Marshall on keyboard, and Robin on drums.
- Who's on First?: The entire gang and Barney's father engage in this when trying to figure out which club to go to. Barney's father even lampshades the conversation by uttering lines from the original skit... and then the lampshading is incorporated into the joke.