It's Asterix's and Obelix's birthday. Friends they've made from all over come to the village to discuss what would make a good gift for the heroes.
- Back for the Finale: Even a few bit characters show up.
- Comic-Book Time: Lampshaded by Uderzo.
- Continuity Porn: Big time.
- Creator Cameo: Albert Uderzo himself shows up.
- Easily Forgiven: Squareonthehypotenus is the main antagonist in The Mansions of the Gods and gets quite a few bruises for it, but he and the Gauls have clearly buried the hatchet since then, as he's one of the guests here, and plans a theme park in their honour.
- Milestone Celebration: This album was published for the series' 50th anniversary (1959-2009).
- Rage Against the Author: When Uderzo shows up to take credit for the Time Skip, Obelix lays him out, and Uderzo agrees to return the village to normal.
- Series Continuity Error: This story (along with the short story The Birth of Asterix, collected in Asterix and the Class Act) reveals Asterix and Obelix share the same birthday. This contradicts the events of Obelix and Co., in which only Obelix is seen celebrating his birthday.
- Shout-Out: To the point of ad naseum.
- Time Skip: Uderzo starts the album by showing what would our heroes be like if they really aged for 50 years. The results are...not pretty.