Much to Jake's shock, Haley officially starts her dragon training. Now, with Haley's prodigious skills on full display as a dragon, will she prove herself to be a better magical protector than Jake?
This episode provides examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: Lao-Shi seems set to put Jake through a typical trust exercise. Except, he lets Jake fall and says The lesson of course is to trust no-one..
- Continuity Nod: One to "The Hunted", when Lao-Shi has Jake train with Bertha, making him clean her mouth and lift her up on top of a pyramid of other magical creatures.
- Distressed Damsel: Haley at the end of the episode, when hobgoblins capture her. After Jake rescues her, Haley admits that the Dragon Giggles wore off shortly after, but she was so scared she didn't know what to do.
- Klingon Promotion: Apparently, this is how one becomes the Grim Reaper in this show's universe. According to Fu Dog, when Marty landed the job, he had to "tap out" his predecessor. Ultimately, Fu Dog uses this knowledge to win the prank battle he's got going on, paying someone to dress up like another Grim Reaper who's come to do in Marty.
- The Reveal: After her rather suspicious first appearance in "Half Baked", both Jake and the audience learn that Sun is a dragon—and not just any dragon. She's the Korean Dragon and Haley's mentor.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: A non-lethal version. Jake gets revenge on Haley by spiking her water with something called "Dragon Giggles", which makes Haley lose control of her dragon powers. Jake intends for it to ruin her photo shoot, but things go way worse.
- That Was Not a Dream: At the beginning of the episode, after Jake winds up in a humiliating position (in his underwear in front of his sister, his home economics teacher, and a magical photographer) following an encounter with hobgoblins, he assumes he's having a "stress dream". Under the illusion that it's not real and thus there are no consequences, he proceeds to make an even bigger fool of himself. Then, the truth dawns on him...
- The Stinger: Fu Dog reveals what other dead-end jobs Marty had before he became the Grim Reaper.
- What Were You Thinking?: Lao-Shi says this verbatim to Sun after he finds out she was already taking Haley into battle in regards to her dragon training. This is a pretty justified reaction, seeing as how despite being a Child Prodigy, Haley is still only 8 years old.