Talking Book is a 1972 album by Stevie Wonder, widely considered one of his finest, together with Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life. It generated hits such as "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" and his Signature Song "Superstition". The album was listed at nr. #90 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time and included in Time Magazine's 2006 list of 100 timeless and essential albums.
- "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" (2:58)
- "Maybe Your Baby" (6:51)
- "You And I (We Can Conquer The World)" (4:38)
- "Tuesday Heartbreak" (3:02)
- "You've Got It Bad Girl" (4:59)
- "Superstition" (4:26)
- "Big Brother" (3:34)
- "Blame It On The Sun" (3:26)
- "Lookin' For Another Pure Love" (4:43)
- "I Believe (When In Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)" (4:53)
Very superstituous tropes, writings on this page
- Alliterative Title: "Big Brother".
- Bad Luck Charm: "Superstition" lists all kinds of things superstitious people might claim to be unlucky, but adds: "superstition ain't the way!"
- Big Brother Is Watching You: "Big Brother".
- Bilingual Bonus: Original pressings had Wonder's name and album title in braille, along with a message only made available until the 2000 pressing.Here is my music. It is all I have to tell you how I feel. Know that your love keeps my love strong.
- Break Up Song:
I'm feelin' down and some kind of lonelyCause my baby done left me here
- "Maybe Your Baby"
Where has my love gone?How can I go on?It seems dear love has gone away
- "Blame It On The Sun"
Tuesday heartbreak seem to be unfairCause you say that you found another man
- "Tuesday Heartbreak"
All my days before today were happy
- "Lookin' for Another Pure Love"
And secure until your phone call
You were tellin' me goodbye.
- Cover Version: He wrote "Superstition" with the intention of giving it to Jeff Beck (whom he was collaborating with for the Talking Book album), but his record label released his version first. ...Which went to #1 and became a Signature Song for Stevie.
- Face on the Cover: Stevie sitting in a nature environment.
- Fading into the Next Song: "Superstition" fades straight into "Big Brother".
- God-Is-Love Songs:
God has made us fall in love, it's trueI've really found someone like you
- "You And I"
God surely answered my prayer
- "I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)"
- In Harmony with Nature: Stevie sitting near a sand hill on the album cover.
- Manly Tears: "Maybe Your Baby", where Stevie feels like cryin' over a broken relationship.
- Non-Appearing Title: The album title doesn't appear in any of the lyrics.
- Pep-Talk Song: "You And I (We Can Conquer The World)".
- The Power of Love: "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life", "You And I (We Can Conquer The World)", "I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)"
- Protest Song: "Big Brother"Your name is big brother,You say that you're tired of me protesting
- Superstition Episode: "Superstition" is exactly about that.
- 13 Is Unlucky: "Superstition". By the way, Stevie's birthday is the 13th of May.Thirteen month old baby