Straight Outta Oz is a Concept Album by Todrick Hall with music produced by Jeeve Ducornet and wiidope. The album features artists such as Nicole Scherzinger, Jordin Sparks, Perez Hilton, and Raven-Symoné, and Tamar Braxton.
Straight Outta Oz is based on the MGM adaptation of The Wizard of Oz whilst also being a semi-autobiographical account of Todrick's rise to fame in Los Angeles (AKA, Oz). It was released on 23 June 2016.
A documentary about the making of Straight Outta Oz called Behind the Curtain was released in December 2017.
Straight Outta Oz provides examples of:
- Black Gal on White Guy Drama: A same-gender example gets alluded to in "Color". The interracial nature of the couple, on top of being a gay couple, leads to a level of social stigma.
- Blah Blah Blah: Used in the chorus of "Blah Blah Blah" when a man in the music industry scams Todrick.
- Concept Album: The album uses Wizard of Oz references whilst also being an auto-biographical story.
- Incompatible Orientation: "Papi" is about a woman in the music industry coming onto Todrick.
- Race Fetish: Part of what makes "Papi" intentionally uncomfortable is the woman (played by Nicole Scherzinger) fetishizing Todrick's ethnicity.
- Money Song: "Expensive" is all about a Self-Made Man flaunting money.
- Silly Love Song: "Color" is about falling in love for the first time.
- Stealth Pun: "Papi" sounds like "poppy". In The Wizard of Oz, there's a scene where poppy seeds make everyone fall asleep. The song "Papi" is about a woman trying to seduce Todrick into sleeping with her.
- Title Drop: The first track, "No Place Like Home", quotes the album's name.