In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is the second studio album by Iron Butterfly, released in 1968. It is best remembered for the Title Track, which has become their Signature Song. Sadly the band was never able to top this success and they are generally considered to be a One-Hit Wonder.
- "Most Anything You Want" (3:44)
- "Flowers And Beads" (3:09)
- "My Mirage" (4:55)
- "Termination" (2:53)
- "Are You Happy?" (4:31)
- "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (17:05)
- Erik Brann - guitar, backing and lead vocals
- Ron Bushy - drums, percussion
- Lee Dorman - bass, vocals
- Doug Ingle - lead vocals, organ
Oh, won't you trope with me... and take my hand?
- Alliterative Title: "My Mirage".
- As the Good Book Says...: The Title Track was inspired by the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve frolicked together.
- Epic Rocking: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", which is 17:05 minutes long. Some live versions of this song go on for even longer — reaching over 19 minutes. In fact the track takes long enough to take up an entire LP side and give all the musicians a chance to perform an instrumental solo, including the drummer!
- Face on the Cover: The band performing during a concert.
- Heavy Metal: While technically close to psychedelic rock, the Title Track is also considered to be one of the the earliest heavy metal songs.
- Hollywood Mirage: "My Mirage"In my mind I see a mirage on the wall
But unfortunately it's not there at all
So, I guess I'll draw my mirage on the wall
Then it can be here to see and enjoyed by all
- Improv: The album version of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was an unedited sound check. It's insane length was because the band were killing time while waiting for their manager to show up. In the end, everyone though that this recording was good enough to go on the album.
- Limited Lyrics Song: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" takes 17 minutes, but only has a few lines of lyrics sang at the beginning of the jam and reprised near the end.In-a-gadda-da-vida, honey
Don't you know that I love you?
Don't you know that I'll always be true?
Oh, won't you come with me and take my hand?
Oh, won't you come with me and walk this land?
Please take my hand
- Longest Song Goes Last: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" clocks in at 17:05, long enough to take side two by itself.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".
- One-Word Title: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and "Termination".
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis: The Title Track is much better known than anything else the band ever recorded.
- The Power of Love:
Flowers and beads are one thing,
- "Flowers And Beads"
But havin' a girl is something
Girl I just wanna make you happy, that's all I'm trying to do
- "Most Anything You Want"
Yes, I just wanna make you happy and spend my lifetime with you
I met a pretty girl on a date last night
- "Are You Happy?"
And let me tell you now she was groovy
- Psychedelic Rock: Of the particularly loud and heavy variety.
- Questioning Title?: "Are You Happy?"
- Rearrange the Song: The original single version of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" butchered the length from 17:05 to 2:52.
- Title Track: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby, don't you know that I love you?