Bôa are a British alternative/indie band formed in London in 1993.
Initially a funk band, Bôa were initially made up only of drummer Ed Herten, keyboardist Paul Turrell, and Steve Rodgers on guitar and vocals. As their popularity grew, so did their membership; they recruited Alex Caird on bass guitar, Ben Henderson on saxophone, and Steve's younger sister Jasmine Rodgers on lead vocals. Their biggest hit is their single "Duvet", which was used as the opening theme song to the anime Serial Experiments Lain.
- All Love Is Unrequited: "Twilight" is about this.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: "Little Miss" ends with a weird jazz breakdown.
- Band of Relatives: Steve and Jasmine Rodgers, who are brother and sister.
- Child of Two Worlds: Referenced by Jasmine on "Fool", with the opening lyric "I was born and raised as an Eastern girl in a Western world", referring to how her parents quick romance and marriage essentially led to her mother Machiko, who at the time spoke very little English, being left in England pregnant with Steve, while Paul had to go back out on tour with Free.
- Genre Shift: "Anna Maria" is an energetic bossa nova track.
- Legacy Character: Steve and Jasmine made their own band following the legacy of their father Paul Rodgers, lead singer of Free!, Bad Company, and (briefly) Queen.
- Lyrical Cold Open: "And you don't seem to understand..."
- Male Band, Female Singer: Jasmine is the lead singer and the only woman in the band.
- One Degree of Separation: Alex Caird had played with Ed Herten in another band prior; Ben Henderson had played in another band entirely with Alex also prior to joining Bôa.
- One-Word Title: Most of their songs.
- Silly Love Songs: Many of their tracks could qualify, but "Drinking" is the most obvious.
- The Smurfette Principle: Jasmine is the only woman in the band.
- Step Up to the Microphone: Steve sung certain songs, such as "One Day".
- Titled After the Song: There's a Bolivian rock band called "Duvet", inspired and named after the song.
- Unplugged Version: "Duvet" receives one on Twilight.