"bo en" (real name Calum Bowen) is a British experimental pop musician, whose work combines feelings of nostalgia, video game soundtrack inspired music, and plenty of Gratuitous Japanese. His debut album, Pale Machine, was released on September 6, 2013, and remains his best-known work. He is currently based in London, UK.
The music of bo en includes the following tropes:
- Bilingual Bonus: Fully understanding his lyrics requires one to know both Japanese and English.
- Gratuitous Japanese: bo en sprinkles Japanese liberally throughout his work, largely stemming from his fascination with Japan and Japanese culture.
- Leitmotif: A leitmotif is carried throughout "Pale Machine," starting with violins in the intro and finally being given lyrics in the final track, "My Time."
- Lyrical Dissonance: Some of his more upbeat songs tend to have darker undertones in the lyrics.
Bo en's Let's Plays include the following:
- I Need a Freaking Drink: When Omori starts getting dark during the Truth segment, he reaches for a glass of wine.
- Not So Stoic: Bo en nearly starts crying when coming across the Truth section of OMORI and realizing that the player character Sunny killed his older sister by accident, pushing her down a flight of stairs in a fit of rage.