Alexander James Adams (born November 6, 1962) is an American singer/songwriter who sings in the Celtic and World genres. He is known for using fiddles, guitars, and bodhran in his music. Alexander James Adams is also a well-known name in the Filk scene.
He began his music career in the 1980s, playing at science conventions and Renascence fairs. In the late 80s, he co-founded a Celtic rock band named "Phoenyx". They released one album, "Keepers of the Flame", before they disbanded in 1991 and he went solo again.
Alexander is a transgender man who went by "Heather Alexander" until 2006. His last performance as Heather was in OryCon 2006 (a scifi/fantasy convention). He still credits songs done during that period as being by Heather Alexander and says that he was a changeling child.
- Dark Is Evil: "The Black Unicorn" is about a soul-stealing, all-black unicorn.
- Faerie Court: "Faerie Queen" is about a woman who battles with a faerie queen who wants to steal her fiance.
- The Fair Folk:
- "Faerie Queen" is about a woman who spots fairies dancing in the forest. It turns out they had returned from a hunt and their prey was her fiancee. She gets him back by beating their queen at playing on the fiddle.
- "Dance in the Circle" is about fairy rings and how fairies can steal souls.
- Filk Song:
- The album Insh'Allah was inspired by the book Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes. The songs and the book were written concurrently. Lion's Blood and its sequel both quote songs from "Insh'Allah".
- The album Merlin's Descendants is based on the works of Irene Radford.
- "Arafel's Lament" is about Arafel from the novel The Tree of Swords and Jewels by C. J. Cherryh.
- "Demonsbane" describes a battle in Heralds of Valdemar.
- Alexander performed on other Mercedes Lackey Filk albums, including "Freedom, Flight, & Fantasy", "Magic, Moondust, & Melancholy", "Oathbreakers", and "Shadow Stalker".
- "Something Dark" is about Cutter's abduction of Leetah in Elfquest.
- Ode to Intoxication: "Pour Your Brother" is a drinking song bordering on a Drunken Song.
- Reincarnation Friendship: "Old Souls" is about a deja vu feeling that some people feel towards certain friends.
- Stand Your Ground: "March of Cambreadth", arguably his best-known song, describes medieval soldiers fighting to defend their homeland.
- Woman Scorned: "Black Jack's Lady" is based off the Scottish folk ballad "The Raggle Taggle Gypsy". In it a woman sleeps with a man named Black Jack. When she wakes up the next morning alone, she ends up hell-bent and furious.