Ryo Sakaguchi has a deep, dark secret: hes a fudanshi―a straight boy obsessed with Boys' Love (BL), the genre of stories revolving around the romance between two men. While he has trouble understanding how others dont find the same bliss he does from his unusual hobbies, that doesnt make it any easier for Ryo to buy his precious manga from the girls section of the store, or any simpler, explaining the world of boys love, shipping wars, and doujinshi circles to his best friend Nakamura. Will Ryo find other fanboys to share his hobby with, or is he doomed to sit alone on his throne of BL romance?
The High School Life of a Fudanshi provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Nakamura tends to give out these. He calls Sakaguchi "Gucchi", Ueda "Uedacchi", and Shiratori "Toricchi".
- Ambiguously Gay:
- Ueda is loyal to Shiratori and is willing to do whatever he's told, says that he's in love with him (but not that way), and is fine not having a girlfriend as long as he's with Shiratori.
- Reiji, Keiichi's Childhood Friend, also leans this way. He likes getting close to him and tells him that he doesn't need a girlfriend as long as he has Reiji.
- Beauty Mark: Sakaguchi has one under his left eye.
- Cat Smile: Rumi and Sakaguchi tend to have these when they're really happy.
- Crossdresser: Shiratori, one of Sakaguchi's male classmates, likes to cross-dress in women's clothing. One episode features Shiratori dressing up as a girl, which catches Sakaguchi's attention.
- Mistaken for Gay: A running gag for Sakaguchi is that people assume he's gay because he's into BL.
- Odd Friendship: Sakaguchi is a hardcore otaku into BL while his friend Nakamura isn't into manga and doesn't understand the appeal of BL.
- Otaku: Rumi is one for BL manga. She's passionate about manga, has friendly arguments about certain pairings, and is familiar with the Seme and Uke terms.
- Otaku Surrogate: Gender-inverted with Sakaguchi; despite being a straight boy, he's obsessed with BL, which is typically aimed at girls and women.
- Yaoi Fangirl:
- Sakaguchi is a male version of one. He buys BL manga, likes pairing his male classmates together, and participates in some BL sites.
- Rumi, one of Sakaguchi's classmates, is one. She participates in the same sites as Sakaguchi and loves fangirling over BL couples.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sakaguchi's friend Nakamura has long purple hair.