This index is for tropes regarding sovereign countries and nation-states, as well as issues of citizenship and nationality.
- All Nations Are Superpowers: Every country in the story's setting is depicted as being quite powerful and influential in global political affairs.
- Banned in China: Real-life media censorship by country.
- Fictional Country: A made-up nation-state which was created for storytelling purposes.
- Founding Day: Often a national holiday which celebrates the anniversary of when a particular country was established as an independent and/or unified state.
- Made in Country X: Stereotypes of commercial products which were produced in a particular country or region.
- Misplaced Nationalism: Jingoistic arguments between people from countries that have a bitter rivalry with each other.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Blindly nationalistic loyalty to one's country, to the point of willfully ignoring any moral problems associated with it.
- Nations as People: Anthropomorphic personifications of various countries.
- "Nations of the World" Montage: A scene which shows people from all over the world doing or reacting to the same events.
- Occupiers Out of Our Country: When nationalists/separatists desire to remove all (real or perceived) foreign meddling in their homelands.
- The Old Country: The ancestral homeland of an immigrant/diaspora community that is living abroad in another country.
- Patriotic Fervor: Nationalistic pride for one's country, whether for good or bad.
- Puppet State: A nominally independent country which is actually mostly or completely dependent on the control of a more powerful foreign country.
- Quirky Neighbour Country: Another nation sharing borders with your own, which is perceived as being rather eccentric.
- The Stateless: Someone is not a legal citizen of any real sovereign nation in the world.
- World Tour: The characters travel around the world and visit multiple countries.