Our werewolves are different and how. In a world where werewolves are controlled by the Voice, Mina and Matty Grekov are slaves, forced to fight monsters and demons. Until they run away to start a normal life.
For a given value of normal, anyway.
The three 'books' are separated into loosely related short stories and novellas, and have inspired a webcomic.
Uncommon Animals contains examples of:
- Achilles' Heel: Of the Attack Its Weak Point variety: Werewolves might heal faster than humans, but a blow to the head is the best way to deal with them.
- Action Girl: Every female monster hunter counts, but Mina's journey is unique. She starts the series as a werewolf and kicks much demon ass as a wolf with a human brain. But as the stories go on, she also learns to fight as a human, usually while utilizing to the scenery to make up for her lack of height.
- Benevolent Boss: Jennelle accepts any and every excuse Mina gives her. Her only concession is that Mina start working from home when she can. Rita as well... more or less.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Jennelle's MO and introduction. She all but takes a spoon to Rick.
- Danger Takes a Backseat: Subverted in The Hunted, when Mina checks her backseat, only to find it empty, before taking off.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Mina and Matty, for different shades of normal. Mina wants a real job, and something to be outside of a monster hunter. Matty wants to be able to talk to people.
- Mood Whiplash: It's not usual for the characters make jokes in dark moments, but the first story, The Hunted, goes from Mina and Jennelle drooling over the 'delivery boy' to Mina being terrified of him in the space a sentence.
- Mrs. Robinson: Jennelle is old enough to be Mina's mother and known for dating men younger than Mina herself.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Werewolves in this world do not need change by the light of the moon, full or otherwise. The change can be done manually by the wolf, or involuntarily by a Speaker with the Voice.
- Painful Transformation: If the werewolf initiates the change, it's very painful. So much so, that the human mind can blackout, leaving a frightened wolf. Speaker initiated changes do not hurt at all.
- Power Fist: Sam and Rick make use of brass knuckles.
- Secret Identity: Mina has one: Theresa "Terry" Jones, the office drone.