While working as a military liaison in Keshan, Conan hears of the legendary Teeth of Gwahlur, a set of jewels more valuable than any other know to man, kept far away in the abandoned city of Alkmeenon, and overseen by an immortal goddess. Setting out to find them, Conan comes upon a mummy on the side of a cliff with a parchment in its hand. Conan can make out the words "Bit-Yakin", a powerful wizard who used to live in the abandoned city with his mysterious servants.
While in the city, Conan experiences a number of accidents which lead him to believe he is not alone. He then stumbles upon what appears to be the goddess, only for it to be a slave girl, Muriela, in disguise, working for an old rival of his. Turns out Conan is not the only one after the jewels, and after a number of crosses and double crosses it's a race to see who will get to the jewels first.
All the while, however, Conan can't help but shake the feeling they are being watched, and, after Muriela is kidnapped, he discovers some exposition hieroglyphs which confirms his worst fears: the servants of Bit-Yakin still live, and never left the city!
- Distinguishing Mark: How Conan ID's Muriela: she has a birthmark on her thigh, and he never forgets details like that.
- Distressed Damsel: Muriela.
- Exact Eavesdropping: Conan's source of information.
- Exact Words: Muriela, in disguise as the oracle, repeats exactly what Conan told her to say, much to his amusement and the distress of the hearers.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Bit-Yakin was a "Pelishtim".
- Faux Death: Yelaya.
- Frazetta Man: The Servants, possibly. May also be a case of All Trolls Are Different, although they're never referred to as such.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Conan saves Muriela.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Threatened.
- Good Shepherd: One priest is incorruptible, which surprises the hell out of Conan.
- Glomp: Muriela keeps doing this to Conan, to the point where the narration lampshades it and he gets annoyed.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Unwise if you want to pass as a goddess.
- Mineral MacGuffin: The Teeth of Gwahlur.
- Posthumous Character: Bit-Yakin.
- Spotting the Thread: Conan susses out that someone is living in the temple and maintaining Yelaya's corpse—even if her corpse is somehow incorrupt, her clothes would have rotted away long ago.