For over 2500 years the continent of Angara has been dominated by an oppressive, regressive theocracy which follows the teachings of 'Jaroai.' Whose avatar united the tribes of humanity and taught them magic, then led them in conquering then enslaving the elves and dwarves. Until in one day it all changed, the country of Valandri, ironically the cradle of mankind, was covered by a thick, black cloud and all of its people were transformed, transformed into creatures which were later labelled vampires. The vampires of Valandri rebelled, they rejected the religion of Jaroai.
A religion which was created by the Jaroai, strange eldritch abominations which reside in a sub-dimension, using said religion to manipulate humanity for their own ends. Ends which are still a mystery.
That was in the year two thousand AHV (After Holy Victory) For five hundred years Valandri has waged war, both open and in secret with the rest of Angara, using their agents, the magically enhanced super spies, the Hunters. Who masquerade as mercenaries dedicated to hunt down vampires who had given into their thirst and slaughter innocents.
The Angaran Chronicles is a series of short stories which mostly follows the Hunters, mostly the elf Hunter Anargrin and his black ops team of the elite of the elite as they perform their morally questionable missions all over the continent.
The stories published online so far are...
After the destruction of her village, the only survivor: Emilia is saved by a stranger: an elf named Anargrin. Who claims to work for a mercenary organisation known and respected all over the continent of Angara: The Hunters. He asks for no payment and to help her with the sickness that threatens to overwhelm her.
After defeating a vampire, the intense, ruthless Hunter Jelcine comes across a strange little girl...
After coming back from a dangerous mission which left his friend and partner, the werewolf: Emilia in a coma. Anargrin is sent on another mission: to hunt down a rogue vampire. A rogue vampire with no consistent modus operandi and who is exceedingly good at hiding its tracks. So much so even the veteran Anargrin is forced into desperate speculation.
But worst of all: drive him into desperate measures.
Measures which drives Anargrin to wonder; do the ends, truly justify the means?
The Hunter, Arken is hired by an aristocrat to investigate into a town under his rule. A town which has cut off all communication with the outside world. What he finds is beyond his worst imaginings. What he finds, implies something beyond mortal comprehension. Was longlisted for the 2018 Wattys.
Alathis is just a day away from taking part in the Ritual. A Ritual which is required so he can become one of the magically enhanced super assassins, a Hunter.
The Ritual which only one in five survives.
But before he can he needs to work through his tremulous and traumatic past.
A past which would've driven anyone else insane or broken them beyond repair.
Will he become one of the One in five?
Or a corpse?
Since she was young, Raleas looked up to her father and was in contempt of her mother. And dreamed and obsessively practised to become a sniper.
But then her mother died and now Raleas is beginning to reevaluate everything she stands for.
The short stories can be read for free here and are updated every Monday.
The novel will be published on amazon.com when it's ready.
Provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Raleas, Jelcine and Emilia while in werewolf form, in human form she's a Girly Girl.
- The Anti-Nihilist: Anargrin is this to the days, along with most Hunters and vampires, aside from the small minority who are religious..
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: In fact The Ritual each Hunter goes through is revealed to be this in The Ritual
- Cold Sniper: Subverted, Raleas tries to be this, but can't deny her emotions and it ends up being unhealthy.
- Cosmic Horror Reveal: Both The Ritual and A False Legacy are revealed to be around this The Ritual with the mysterious, huge eldritch abomination, Chos'Choloth living in 'the red sea' and the cult which worships it from Alathis' memories and visions within the titular Ritual. And A False Legacy with The Obelisk which mind controls the town Arken is investigating and the mysterious Hunter Garron who erases Arken's memory and replaces it with others to keep the Obelisk a secret.
- Diesel Punk: The 'current' timeline is set in a technological time equivalent of our 1940s but many of the short stories take place in other eras. An Ulterior Motive and A False Legacy being set during their Medivale age. Hamar Noir is set during their Victorian Era (although it's their early Industrial era) While both A Poor Girl and The Ritual are set during the current Diesel Punk time.
- Family Drama: essentially what General and the Poet is. Raleas dealing with the aftermath of the death of her mother.
- Film Noir: As the title of the novella Hamar Noir indicates the themes and tone of a Film Noir are rife all through it. Although it takes place somewhere in their Victorian ear. Being set in Valtagan; the capital of Ham which is a large mining city set underground and deals mostly with the city's slums as Anargrin tries to hunt down a serial killing vampire.
- Guile Hero: Anargrin in both his stories is shown to be very good at manipulating others especially in An Ulterior Motive where he uses an infected with lycanthropy Emilia to lead a pack of werewolves to attack a Church of Jaroai convoy which is travelling to destroy a village they've deemed heretical. Both the werewolves and priests and the soldiers accompanying them, almost wipe each other out before Anargrin steps in and finishes off the three remaining werewolves himself. Effectively stopping the attack on the village and making sure the werewolves are gone for good.
- Lightning Bruiser: Anargrin like most Hunters is this against normal people, but against vampires, they're Weak, but Skilled. in Anargrin's case, he's also Fragile Speedster. The exception being Jelcine, who has Super Strength on par with a vampire, due to being mutated, during her Ritual.
- Vampire Hunter: The Hunters are this, but in reality, the more experienced ones are spies, infiltrators and Black ops for the vampire nation of Valandri. The vampires they hunt are rogue ones who have given in to their thirst and escaped into the human countries.
- Magical Enhancement: The Hunters are all this because if this they are capable of performing superhuman feats such as dodging bullets, running at ludicrous speeds as well as the enhanced constitution and healing rate.
- Secret War: The war waged between the Hunters and the church, especially over children of magical potential, so secret, in fact, the church doesn't even know it's against the Hunters.
- Town with a Dark Secret: The small town which Arken is hired to investigate in A False Legacy is this the dark secret is that everyone is under the control of an Artifact of Doom.
- Trauma Conga Line: Almost of Alathis' whole life is revealed to be this in The Ritual also including his Ritual, the poor guy can't seem to catch a break.