Expedition Z'', like any other StoryShift-hosted story can be viewed here and has decisions in the end of every chapter that people can vote on to influence the next chapter or the story's overall plot. You can view as a guest but cannot vote on decisions given by the author or create an account to vote.
Tropes present in this work:
- After the End: Set well after Zombie Apocalypse as American society is starting to rebuild.
- An Arm and a Leg: Necessary for Scott once they got suprise-bitten by a hidden zombie in one of his hands when he was escaping the shed after Olivia's hostage situation.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: The author's end-of-chapter decision sets usually comes in threes so there's a chance it'll happen there. For example, the noise the group hears and the end of Chapter Eleven can be either from a commander, a helicopter or Scott's radio playing "Kashmir".
- Boom, Headshot!: Olivia quickly and casually does this to one of the male characters so that they definitely die while she holds Dannie hostage at Chapter 15. The decisions at the end even forces you to choose who it was, including Adam.
- Brain Food: While the zombies also consume flesh, brains are definitely their most favourite body part. Non-human brains works for them too.
- Exploited by Adam in Chapter Nine with a water gun filled with a mixture of brain matter and water to misdirect a zombie horde in the Capitol building.
- Chekhov's Gun: Which is literally a gun! Lloyd gives Adam a water gun before the expedition which seriously comes in handy during Chapter Nine when he finds brain matter inside it.
- Ensign Newbie: The main members of the expedition are chosen from the current batch of graduates, in this case Adam's father appoints him due to a minority party right.
- The Great Wall: The Westerly Wall, stretching 1,300 miles from Bangor, Maine to Atlanta, Georgia.
- My Secret Pregnancy: Dannie after having sex with Banley.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: Averted; note that zombies are present in the setting's pop culture as in real life.
- Sinister Scythe: Adam equips himself with this assuming that he's not going to be offing zombies every now and then and that he just likes the appearance of wielding a scythe.
- Web Serial Novel: Published through the StoryShift platform.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Known as "the Fall" but at the beginning of the story had long ended.